Friday, April 16, 2021

"Off The Shelves 6": THE WEEKEND MIX

 


This might not really be the 6th version of "Off The Shelves," as a few had themes and no numbers. And I am too lazy to check if any of the songs here were used on prior "Off The Shelves." It is what it is, and what that is is, a collection of random favorites that I've been compiling in an iTunes folder for years, going as far back as the early days of NYCD, when I'd pull CDs off the shelves, both at my shop and my home, just for that one cool track.


Some random notes on today's selections:

Groovin': Led Zeppelin fans might have heard LZ's version of "We're Gonna Groove" either on "Coda" or on one of the many early live bootlegs, before hearing the original found on a Ben. E. King 45.

Supercute: With the announcement of a new previously unreleased Prince album pulled from the vault, I was reminded of how much I love this unreleased track.

For The Love Of Cain: Roland Orzabal's one solo record away from Tears For Fears was just so-so, but I think this track is great.

Power Trippin': This was a Japanese bonus track on the second Power Station record and better than anything on that second record.

We Ran: A rare occasion where I think the cover is better than the original, with all respect to John Hiatt.

Been A Fix: Another b-side, this one from Izzy Stradlin & The Juju Hounds. I truly believe this is one of the all time great rock and roll songs. The pocket of the groove that closes things out is about as exciting as it gets.

Auf Wiedersehen: The last word goes to Cheap Trick via Anthrax. (Don't be afraid.)

If you don't dig it all, let's hope you dig some of it.

TRACKLIST
Supreme Evil- Go Home Productions
Groovin'- Ben E. King
Hold On Baby- Sam Hawkins
Ape Is High- Mandrill
Supercute- Prince
We Ran- Katy Moffat
For The Love Of Cain- Roland Orzabal
Shoot The Moonlight Out- Garland Jeffreys
Bassanova- DJ Smash
Power Trippin'- Power Station
Soul Strokes- Sidney Pinchback
Let Love Live- The Velvelettes
Always Wanted More- Ronnie Wood
Been A Fix- Izzy Stradlin & the Juju Hounds
Auf Wiedersehen- Anthrax

zip

8 comments:

heartsofstone said...

Another great comp for the weekend. Thanks so much.

daudder said...

Any mix with Garland Jeffreys, and especially "Shoot the Moonlight Out", is a banger. Wonder what your take is on his last album "14 Steps to Harlem"? I think it's up there with his best, maybe even his finest (And Jagger would kill for a performance as great as "Venus".

As usual, a very well done list!

A Walk In The Woods said...

Thanks for this! Headed off to camp in the woods with many boy scouts including my son, and I will have this on headphones when I get some downtime...

heartsofstone said...

Ditto to daudder's comment about Garland Jeffreys. The world needs more Garland.

dogbreath said...

Your shelves are well stocked as usual & this is an enjoyable confection, lots of unknown flavours for a Philistine like me to sample. Thanks for sharing & not being shelf-ish (see what I did there). Have a super weekend. Cheers!

cmealha said...

Just realized that the image looks like the shelves I built for you. Does the record cover open on this one?

cmealha said...

*I meant "Does the record player cover open...."

M_Sharp said...

Another good one, thanks!