Tuesday, July 28, 2026

Another Nod To Bob

 

   


There was always something about Bob Dylan's minor hit single "Wigwam" that fascinated me. Even as a kid, I found it to be strangely beautiful and haunting. But it was only recently that I heard a version without overdubs found on the bootleg series set "Another Self Portrait." This version is even better. I don't know exactly what it is. Maybe it's because the greatest worsdmith of our time can still be affective without using any. 

Plus, his voice is wonderful on this track. 

10 comments:

  1. Wigwam has a lovely melody and Bob sounds like he’s enjoying himself.

    Today’s cover is also very good. It made me think of seeing Van Morrison with James Hunter on guitar in vocals in the early 90’s (such as A Night in San Francisco where I was in the audience). The horn chart has a bit of Moondance in it.

    - Paul in DK

    ReplyDelete
  2. That Steely Dan cover is a lot of fun. I always thought Reed should have had a bigger career than he had...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steely Dan cover ?
      Lou like Van like Tom are acquired tastes (if you're lucky enough to have taste)

      Delete
  3. Another Self Portrait was quite the revelatory boxed set. From one of his most mocked albums to a boxed set that suddenly was essential.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't remember this tune at all. After listening to the version you posted I went back to the original version. The one you posted is much better. Just put me in a nice mellow mood. You're right, Bob's voice is very effective.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Sal, I'd overlooked this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ever since I was a kid I always thought that Self-Portrait was unfairly derided and scorned. To me it was a frank and honest portrayal of the famously elusive artist and his motivations, rendered in highly musical terms. Another Self-Portrait went the extra mile in affirming the original album's beauty and scope. Plus, only Bob's sense of humor could explain recording his version of "The Boxer" just to make the point that "every blow that laid him low" was a far better line of verse than Paul Simon's original "every glove that laid him down." Now that's funny!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm with Anonymous. Longtime fan of Self Portrait, was thrilled with Another Self Portrait. And I'm easy: I like both versions of Wigwam. I certainly get why people hated Self Portrait at the time--they wanted another Blonde on Blonde. I would have too if I wasn't 11 at the time and more into the Archies. But taken on its own terms, and decades later, I think it's a lovely, exploratory album and, for Dylan, a productive reset along the lines of the later Good as I Been to You and World Gone Wrong. His follow up, New Morning, is my favorite Dylan album that's not one of the "biggies."

    Bruce H

    ReplyDelete
  8. Why is Nicolas Cage on the cover??

    ReplyDelete
  9. Although the first Dylan song I remember hearing was "Most Likely You'll Go Your Way..." when I was about 10, I didn't know who Bob Dylan was at the time. Strange as it may be, "Wigwam" was actually the song that introduced me to Dylan. And I still love it to this day .

    ReplyDelete