Tuesday, July 21, 2026

Red Hot Grey & Greene

Grey De Lisle has eight records under her belt, the first released in 2000. I've seen her name but I've never heard her music.

Les Greene is a new hot shot soul singer with only a few recordings under his belt. I never saw his name or heard a note of his music, but Miss De Lisle was knocked out by Mr. Greene and wanted to collaborate.

Roots rockin' semi-legend James Intveld (Oh! Finally someone I know!) got on board, played all the instruments and produced "Grey & Greene," a truly fantastic blast of an album.

Intveld co-wrote three of the nine originals while De Lisle penned the other six on her own. There is also one cover, a totally lovable take on the "Grease" classic "You're The One That I Want."

The opening track "Homewrecker" would lead you to believe this album would be set in Blasters territory. But as the record progresses, you will feel you are on an audio tour of Memphis, Nashville and New Orleans. Grey & Greene absolutely shine on "Grey & Greene," covering soul, country, swing and good ol' rock and roll. And though Intveld is handling all but a lone guitar solo by Deke Dickerson, these songs sound live and loose.

The one strange thing is the delegation of the songs. "I'm Gonna Let You Call Me Baby" is clearly written as a duet. "You're gonna treat me like a woman/I'm gonna take it like a man," yet it is sung by Les Greene alone. "Back Of Your Hand" is from a woman's point of view- "You ain't so tough, just a big talkin' man/I don't even know you, I only know the back of your hand"-- but again, Grey leaves it solely to Greene. As a matter of fact, the only duet is the John Travolta/Olivia Newton-John cover. It's a small nit to pick, though maybe Grey De Lisle really wanted to showcase Les Greene.

"Grey & Greene" is the most fun I've had a long time. This record is the real deal. It'll remind you of all the greats from Otis and The Reverend Al, to Ray Charles, Patsy Cline and Etta James without ever sounding like a novelty. 

(h/t Paul In DK) 

 

 

8 comments:

Cleveland Jeff said...

Another great cover song today. I out the Pops Staples in the queue.

Eric S. said...

This is great fun!

Anonymous said...

This sounds great - as you mention, it sure covers a lot of areas. Intveld doesn't have many albums - I've only heard his first one. Any others you recommend?

Randy

Sal Nunziato said...

Randy, I don't really know his solo stuff. I just know he appears on a bunch of Rosie Flotres records, and a Blasters record or two.

Anonymous said...

Glad you’re digging this set. Like you, I only knew a bit of Intveld’s work, mostly from some ‘80s rockabilly compilations, but he’s done great work with the music and production here. Grey Delisle is also a voice actress for animation. Both singers are new to me, but they do a fine job throughout the 32 minutes. Was also surprised by the single duet, but each song works well as is.

- Paul in DK

Michael Giltz said...

High praise! Gonna spin it later (symbolically; I'm actually gonna stream some 1s and 0s and it will blossom into music).

Rob said...

Skip over to YouTube and listen to their cover of "The One That I Want"
Its a little bit Nashville, with a bit of chicka, chicka on the guitar strings.

Sal Nunziato said...

I mention that in the post.