Thursday, July 23, 2026

Who's Power Poppin'


 
Power Pop may have been defined for all time by the music of Badfinger, Raspberries and Big Star. But it was Pete Townshend who coined the phrase "power pop" years earlier when describing the music of The Who.
 
Post-1970, most of what The Who released had little to do with the aformentioned trio and their style of music. But from 1965-1969, it's more than reasonable to think, The Who's music could have truly been the beginning of the genre.
 
It's been a few hours since a new Who reissue was released, but as long as the labels want to keep repackaging the same music over and over, might I suggest "Who's Power Poppin'."
 
Hell, I'd buy it!
 
THE WHO- WHO'S POWER POPPIN'
 
SIDE ONE
Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere
Our Love Was
Man With Money
Pictures Of Lily
Much Too Much
It's Not True
The Kids Are Alright
I Can't Reach You

SIDE TWO
So Sad About Us
Early Morning Cold Taxi
Happy Jack
La-La-La Lies
Substitute
Disguises
I'm Free
I Can't Explain

4 comments:

soundsource said...

Waiting for the weekend mix to download.

Anonymous said...

Finally someone who understands the origin of Power Pop. Mix in the Hollies and there you go.

Captain Al

Tumblingdice70 said...

What a fantastic compilation! I would say not many songwriters had an output like this in one style, then changed course and built the rest of their career on a different style, successfully, without ever going back to what got them started.

Bryan

steve simels said...

I couldn't agree more.