Monday, August 17, 2026

Aimee & Me & XTC

 


 

For most of the time our shop was in business, we had nice relationships with a number of record labels, including the owners of the excellent indie label Razor & Tie. Both attorneys originally, they named the label after the two things they hated most about being lawyers- shaving and wearing a suit. With these relationships came the occasional perks, like concert tickets, TV tapings, merch and advance copies of releases.

Another label was TVT who scored a coup by signing XTC in 1999. I would chat with TVT's rep Ben almost everyday about upcoming releases, and when he mentioned "Apple Venus," I just about plotzed. A year later, when the label was about to release "Wasp Star," I was told Andy and Colin would be in their offices for a few hours. I begged Ben to come visit, but was told neither wanted to have a meet and greet, but that he would get them to sign a CD. He made good on that promise.

But back in 1993, I was not only given tickets to see Aimee Mann, courtesy of Razor & Tie, at the long lamented Bottom Line in Greenwich Village, but was also gifted a reserved table, something truly rare at the club for anyone who wasn't someone. For this small tour, Aimee's guitar player was Dave Gregory of XTC, so that night, I wore my "Drums & Wires" t-shirt.

We arrived just a few minutes before show time, not having to worry about finding a good seat thanks to Razor & Tie's table, and seconds after sitting down, a gentleman behind me said, "I knew it!" 

"Knew what?," I asked. 

"An XTC reunion tonight! Come on. You know it, right? You're wearing the shirt."

I didn't know anything, I assured him. I told him I wore the shirt because of Dave Gregory, something fans of both Aimee and Dave knew was happening.

"Then why are you sitting next to Andy?"

I was confused, until I turned my head and saw that I was indeed sitting next to Andy Partridge.

Aimee Mann was great, and so was Dave Gregory's guitar playing. It's now encore time and Andy is no longer sitting next to me. Is this really going to happen?

"This is a song by one of Dave's bands, The Dukes Of Stratosphear." 

The band began playing "Collideascope" and right before the first chorus, Andy Partridge enters stage left with a tambourine and sings harmony in the shadows about five feet away from Dave's microphone.

And that was the almost XTC reunion of 1993.

I get more excited now thinking about being there than I was actually being there. 


 

14 comments:

Brian said...

What a great story! I've been reading you for a very long time and I don't remember hearing this before. I'm glad you got to have that experience and I'm also damn jealous.

steve simels said...

Wow. Seriously. 😎

Michael Giltz said...

Just sitting next to Andy during the show must have been fun!

Anonymous said...

Did you chat with him?

Randy

Cleveland Jeff said...

You've been blessed, or lucky, if you prefer.

Cleveland Jeff said...

And another great cover today. Profit actually produced Translated From Love, and cowrote songs with Willis and Shear. What a team. Not sure whose idea it was to cover Iggy, but that sounds like one Profit came up with.

Neal t said...

has ur blog buddy Similes ever do a side projects better than original band DotS right up there with Hot Tuna :)

Guy Incognito said...

Wowsville!! That's really cool. I don't think I would have been able to talk with him, as surely my mind would've gone blank and my mouth wouldn't cooperate if I did manage to come up with something to say. I would offer to buy him a refreshing beverage, at best.

That's a cool story, thank you

Guy Incognito said...

Just now remembered that this was after Dave had departed, so it's even more unexpected

Dr Wu said...

Wow, indeed! A supporting, up close role in a legendary tale. You lead a charmed life, sir. Amazingly cool. :)
Aimee Mann: “I'll tell you how that happened. For awhile I was dating the guitarist of XTC [Dave Gregory, who also played in her touring band]. So this is how my intensive understanding of human nature works to my advantage: I asked Andy if he'd come onstage and just play tambourine on this XTC song we were covering ["Collideascope," which XTC recorded in '60s drag as the Dukes of Stratosphear]. I knew that he had severe stage fright, so I said, 'Just play tambourine and have some fun.' Of course he's incredibly nervous, but once he's onstage he's fine, and a bit of a ham. So he's standing beside me while I'm singing his song- and not especially well, I might add. So before I know it he's up there singing four times as loud as me. I think he's afraid of being a disappointment, with all the high expectations people have of him. I know the feeling, but I got over it- now I don't care if I disappoint people or not." - Pulse Interview, 02.1996

cmealha said...

What an awesome story and what a great memory to have.

billy budapest said...

I'm reminded of the time many years ago that a publicist at ABC Records persuaded me to attend a dinner at a Greenwich Village restaurant in honor of Annie Haslam of Renaissance. I was no fan (and thus had no enthusiasm for the event) but in the interest of maintaining good label relations, I obliged anyway. Once there, my bad attitude shifted immediately when I turned to my left and realized that I was seated next to her then-boyfriend Roy Wood!

Todd G. said...

I second that entire comment!

Anonymous said...

What an amazing story!!!

Captain Al