Tuesday, August 25, 2026

Holy Crap! It's The Who Live From 1967


 

This is how it all went down.

I decided to listen to Pete Townshend's "Scoop," the 1983 collection of demos and oddities. The first song on Side One is an acoustic demo of "So Sad About Us," one of my all time Who faves. I checked the liner notes to be sure this was indeed a demo from 1966 and not something Pete recorded years later while noodling in the studio. Yes, it was from 1966. Pete also mentions in the notes that the song was recorded first by The Merseys, something I was not aware of.

So, I dial up The Merseys' version on YouTube and I wasn't impressed. But the first YouTube comment I see is this, "There is a version of this song live from The Beat Club where it is introduced as a song by The Merseys."

Okay. What? A live version of "So Sad About Us" from 1967? Talk about not getting memos.

And now that we are all caught up, behold The Who, live in 1967, on The Beat Club. 

6 comments:

M_Sharp said...

That's a very cool video, and it rocks! You have a nice mix started too- The Who, Johnny Sayles, and Ellen Foley.

Anonymous said...

I especially like the shot of the audience’s feet trying to move to Keith Moon’s loose groove. Roger seems nonplussed about the event.

- Paul in DK

Dr Wu said...

Apparently AI presents this video as an example of “Keith Moon's chaotic and entertaining style in action behind the kit.”
This song is perfect. Love the versions by The Jam and The Breeders also. Crazy that the closest this song ever got to being a hit was as a b-side for The Jam.

Anonymous said...

Nice way to start my Tuesday! You would've thought this video would have made it's way into some documentary or Kids Are Alright movie thing.

Man, I hate Roger's early hair-doo.

Randy

Bill said...

Wow. Really cool. Watching this performance makes me wonder why the song wasn’t a regular part of their set. Always nice to hear John’s vocal contributions to those 60s tunes.

DrNecessitor said...

Aired on the Beat Club, but I'm pretty sure that was filmed at the Marquee in London...the stage looks very much like it.