Mesopotamia- The B-52's
So Good To Be Back Home Again- The Tourists
Lover, What D'ya Put Me Through- Mansion Harlots
Ice Cream Song- The Dynamics
The Bright Mississippi- Allen Toussaint
Rains Came- Sir Douglas Quintet
Pincushion- ZZ Top
Something for everyone, I think, including a power pop gem from a young Annie Lennox, followed by another pop gem from the one and done Mansion Harlots. (The entire Mansion Harlots record is worth your time.)
The Dynamics into Allen Toussaint is an inspired one-two punch, if I do say so myself.
It's here, if you want it.

9 comments:
The Dynamics were new to me. Really enjoyed the album in a first spin yesterday. The Bright Mississippi has been a favorite song of mine for close to 40 years when I heard the Monk’s Dream album. Toussaint’s version is lovely.
- Paul in DK
I much preferred the Tourists to the Eurythmics.
Mesopotamia is an underrated B52s song
Joe Henry had a hell of a stretch of creative albums and then producer credits, like The Bright Mississippi.
Oh, also wanted to add that Henry was the producer of a fantastic various artists record released by Anti Records, I Believe To My Soul, which featured some otherwise unavailable cuts from Toussaint, Irma Thomas, Billy Preston and Mavis Staples (amongst others). Never understood why that album remained in obscurity.
I can answer that.
Absolutely horrible package and promotion. No one knew what it was. A soundtrack to a film? A collection of old soul tunes? On top of that, it was released through Hear Music which was distributed by Starbucks. So you've got 10 fantastic new songs by all those legends, including Ann Peebles, but you had to see it on display next to scones by the Starbucks cash register. It was ill-fated from the word go.
Loved the Dynamics track. Never heard that one. Thanks.
Looking forward to listening to the new Mesopotamia release. Not their greatest but fun. The real sell is the live concert which I attended we attended.
Thanks for this SOTW.
Regarding your song of the day: If you never get tired of reading the word "underrated" scroll through the comments on any of Marshall's songs.
I'd strangle those idiots if we were in the same room.
Bob in IL
Post a Comment