While filling in for Sal, probably at the end of March, possibly April Fools, 2023, I prepared this mix, and then didn't post it. Why? I'd contacted the somewhat reclusive artist and asked for and been granted permission. What happened? I flinched. I took his two albums, "HUB" from 1998, and "Daylight" released in 2001 both produced by Chris Harford, and sequenced the songs. I thought he might not be happy with my giving all his music away and overstepping my bounds. In our conversations, though brief, I got a sense that he wasn't entirely happy with how things had turned out.
Instead, I uploaded a few songs to YouTube, with minimal explanation, which underwhelmed everyone especially Hub Moore.
I found "HUB" in the 10 for $15 crate at NYCD. There is next no information anywhere on it. Searching for more led me to his '80's band from Boston, Three Colors. What follows is the story I didn't share with Hub, and is too complicated to tell now, but I'll give it a shot anyway.
I had a band in Wilmington, North Carolina in the late 80's. One of the singers, Cousin Daisy, worked at the venue Jacob's Run, booking the bands. She was who you sent your demos to. One day she handed me a couple records by Three Colors, from Boston. I played a side of one, and that was enough. A few days later, I walked into the Front Street News for coffee, see Daisy, and she says, "You never told me what you thought of Three Colors". I compared them unfavorably to The English Beat. To which she replied, "They're here, and playing tonight". That's when I saw the band, all present, give me a little wave. To say I was embarrassed is an understatement. Our band, at my insistence all turned up to their gig, and were practically the only ones who did. We hung out with Three Colors afterwards. Jacobs Run, a former movie theater had recently been renovated into a multi use entertainment venue, with live music, foreign films, and a restaurant/bar in the balcony. My largest paintings lined the walls of the theater. I had a long conversation, very possibly with Hub, about them.
Jacob's Run, having been through a multitude of hands, was demolished in 2023-4
Hub Moore's music is really good and should be heard. He's an excellent storyteller and songwriter. Here, he absolutely nails '90's New York.
If I were to make a superficial sonic comparison, I'd say a cross between Elliott Smith and Nick Drake without the suicide.



i like the photo.
ReplyDeleters
Looks Interesting. Good story.
ReplyDelete