Dragonflies are Dhani Harrison and Nigel Godrich. The early word almost put me off completely, as I am not a fan of any Radiohead records post-"OK Computer," and that is exactly what I expected from this album- spacey, amelodic noodling. You can get on me all you want about "Kid A" and all that followed. I've heard it all before and I've given all of those records second and third chances. I don't like them. Thom Yorke gives me the twitch.
Why do I like Dragonflies?
I'll tell you.
Though it does resemble those very same Radiohead records in style and structure, I found the music on Dragonflies to be more melodic and accessible. Dhani Harrison's vocals are less abrasive and the lyrics are easier to decipher. Harrison is also sounding less like his dad on this record and more like Glenn Tilbrook, which made for a fun listening experience, like a cross between Pink Floyd and Squeeze.
I imagine this isn't for everyone, but I was pleasantly surprised when it was all over.
I enjoy this. It’s very calming. There’s times I hear Talk Talk, which is always a good thing. First The Great Parrot-Ox and the Golden Egg of Empathy, now Dragonflies with Rubber Soul Super Deluxe tomorrow: A banner year for the Beatles’ family.
ReplyDeleteToday’s Cover Version: thanks for resurrecting Beck’s Record Club, sir. I think Kick is the most consistent of the five. But, there’s excellent moments with all of them.
Thanks for all you do, sir :)
My massive oversight to not mention The Boys of Dungeon Lane and Long Long Road. When was the last time each of the Beatles’ surnames released an album this good in the same year? They all play very nicely together. Thanks again. :)
DeletePerhaps a Fab Four (ish) 2026 collection is in order…
The INXS lads’ 80’s blow-dried hair is a poor attempt at being one of The Congos.
ReplyDelete- Paul in DK
This post went over welll.
ReplyDeleteAt least people were nice enough not to tell you what they thought.
Deleteas you tell me what you thought with that comment.
DeleteI'm glad I was exposed to it even if it's not my thing.
DeleteI knew it wasn't going to go over. If I don't know my readers after 18 years, then I haven't been paying attention. I took a shot because I dug it.
DeleteHow does the same guy produce Hail To The Thief and Chaos and Creation in the Backyard?
ReplyDeleteThe way the same guy could listen to both The Meters and Motorhead, I guess.
DeleteWell, hell, lemme break my silence, then. I really liked the second song -- downloaded it right away -- and kept BW tab open to revisit the first one a few times over the course of this day, because the drum/piano repeating motif was intriguing; I'm still deciding on it (which means it'll need another listen). I agree with the Talk Talk (specifically Spirit of Eden, which I loooooove) comparison, and agree (obs, as the kids say) that that is a good thing.
ReplyDeleteC in California
Welcome back! Very happy to see your name here.
DeleteThis is definitely a new find for me. Of all the Beatles offspring, Dhani's the one who's grabbed my attention most. (Sean Lennon being a close second.) I think Dhani's very talented, and this album scratches an itch for me. Will likely be buying it.
ReplyDeleteThumbs up from me. The more I listen, the more I like it. I absolutely love 'Straight Line".
ReplyDeleteRandy