I'm setting myself up for trouble, I know. But I genuinely like the album, and I think my joke is damn good, too.
15 comments:
kevin m
said...
It's weird. YES was one of my favorite bands when I first started listening to music. I mean I even enjoyed the Drama album (the first one w/o Ian Anderson) and saw that tour. But over the past few years I have not spent much time with the band. And I think the current version is an embarassment.
I love "Drama," and pretty much everything through "Going For The One." "Tormato" was tough, but "Talk" from the early 90's had some great stuff on it.
I'm with you, re: current lineup, though at least they have one more original member than Foreigner.
Coming to Yes later, this is the album I was advised to ignore due to “self-indulgence and excess”. Based upon your recommendation, I’m in. Any chance you can break each of these 4 songs down similar to what you did with “Supper’s Ready”? Lol. Thanks for all you do, sir. May you enjoy the day :)
Thanks - I think that’s how I’ll approach it. Track 1 sounds really good on a holiday morning, so :) Have you any thoughts on the Super Deluxe Edition’s included single edits of all 4 tracks?
Lol. I think I’ll avoid then. Representative of how this album’s been considered: “For all those who fought the punk wars to now realize there is 15-disc box set of Tales From Topographic Oceans…” - RCMag. Lol
Life Is Good is an apt choice for a public holiday as well as one of the many great tracks on Colossal Head. Nice opposition with today’s cover.
Somehow I’ve always preferred King Crimson and Genesis (up through Duke) to Yes. The Bill Bruford years (1968-72) are mostly enjoyable, and that’s not a dig on Alan White.
This is the one that made me reconsider Yes. I loved Yes up until this album. Relayer was the nail In the coffin. How could It all go so wrong? I think I played this album twice and it sat gathering dust for nearly 50 years. A while back I listened again at your insistence and found enjoyment in most of it. Side 4 was still a let down. Relayer is still irredeemable.
15 comments:
It's weird. YES was one of my favorite bands when I first started listening to music. I mean I even enjoyed the Drama album (the first one w/o Ian Anderson) and saw that tour. But over the past few years I have not spent much time with the band. And I think the current version is an embarassment.
I love "Drama," and pretty much everything through "Going For The One." "Tormato" was tough, but "Talk" from the early 90's had some great stuff on it.
I'm with you, re: current lineup, though at least they have one more original member than Foreigner.
Coming to Yes later, this is the album I was advised to ignore due to “self-indulgence and excess”. Based upon your recommendation, I’m in. Any chance you can break each of these 4 songs down similar to what you did with “Supper’s Ready”? Lol. Thanks for all you do, sir. May you enjoy the day :)
I will say this about "self-indulgence and excess"- I believe if "TFTO" were two single albums released a year apart, the feeling would be different.
A friend mentioned how he recently listened to it and it seemed to take the whole day. But he did say, "there is some great stuff there."
Spread it out! It pays off.
Thanks - I think that’s how I’ll approach it. Track 1 sounds really good on a holiday morning, so :)
Have you any thoughts on the Super Deluxe Edition’s included single edits of all 4 tracks?
Some albums just set themselves up for trouble. This was clearly one of those albums.
Captain Al
Didn't bother with the single edits. As Jake LaMotta would say, "That would defeat its own purpose!"
Lol. I think I’ll avoid then. Representative of how this album’s been considered:
“For all those who fought the punk wars to now realize there is 15-disc box set of Tales From Topographic Oceans…” - RCMag. Lol
Life Is Good is an apt choice for a public holiday as well as one of the many great tracks on Colossal Head. Nice opposition with today’s cover.
Somehow I’ve always preferred King Crimson and Genesis (up through Duke) to Yes. The Bill Bruford years (1968-72) are mostly enjoyable, and that’s not a dig on Alan White.
- Paul in DK
Not to belabor the point, but the headline was funny!
I think your joke is BETTER than the album, but I doubt that’s a surprise.😎
It's ironic. ;)
I decided I loved it all those years ago before I even heard a single note just based on the album artwork. Happy beLabor Day!!
This is the one that made me reconsider Yes. I loved Yes up until this album. Relayer was the nail
In the coffin. How could It all go so wrong?
I think I played this album twice and it sat gathering dust for nearly 50 years. A
while back I listened again at your insistence and found enjoyment in most of it. Side 4 was still a let down. Relayer is still irredeemable.
Actually, since Steve Howe did not join until the third album, the current version of Yes has 0 original members
Post a Comment