Monday, October 5, 2026

Soundtrack To The New Cold War

 

 

 

I spent 8 hours yesterday working the Vinyl Revolution Record Show, my favorite record show of all. The room has a great vibe, the best dealers, and some of the best records at the best prices. This show is far better than your average record store/vaping room/coffee shop/vegan clothier places that have been popping up in all of Brooklyn's most annoying neighborhoods, run by investment bankers who decided on a hobby and who refer to their inventory as "vinyls." 

But I digress. 

I only managed a few minutes of shopping for myself, as I was being paid to work for Slipped Disc and we were busy the entire time. My friend Mike, who runs the show with his daughter Amanda, turned me on to a band from England...I think... called Cyanide Pills. Around since 2017, their most recent, 2023's "Soundtrack To The New Cold War" is a kickass collection of rock and punk that will surely scratch your Buzzcocks itch. 

Check'em out. 

 

 

7 comments:

  1. Fun tunes. The vocals in “Day After Day” certainly sound American, but the band are from the Leeds area in northern England. https://damagedgoods.co.uk/bands/cyanide-pills/
    I hear some Buzzcocks, Ramones and early Undertones in “Singled Out”.

    - Paul in DK

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reading your "vinyls" remark made me flash back when Baba Booey refered to his record collection as "piece's of vinyl"
    Howard responded by saying - 1. who walks into a record store and says they want to buy a "piece of vinyl" (lol) &
    2. the term is pretentious

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a great time! Glad you had fun and sorry I wasn't there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good songs! I haven't been to a record show since Covid, it's probably safe enough for a return trip.
    I made a great buy at a local flea market recently- Soupy Sales "Says Do The Mouse and Other Teen Hits"...... in MONO! And it's on ABC Paramount! It would have been great if he had been in a studio down the hall while Ray Charles was recording "Modern Sounds In Country And Western Music", but Soupy's smash was recorded three years later.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You got it, Sal! Cyanide Pills got me Buzzin’ and Cockin’!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sal, speaking as a past Saturday yard sale hunter what was the most valuable album that you ever found ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you mean literally found, the first thing that comes to mind is a Bud Powell record on NorGran which eventually became Verve Records. I found it in a thrift shop for $2.00 and sold it hours later for $400. But, I've bought collections from people who found me, and some truly rare things were in those collections like a test pressing of the first Led Zeppelin album, which I sold for $1000, a first U.K. MONO press of Tomorrow's debut which sold for $600. I can list dozens of titles.

      Delete