Friday, November 21, 2008

"SINGERS": THE WEEKEND MIX #11


The Rolling Stone magazine list of 100 greatest singers inspired this not-so-random collection of songs. More than half of the singers represented here did not make the cut. Those that did are represented by songs that are not usually cited as defining moments for the artists. Yet for me, all ten songs exemplify the genius and purity of their vocal talents.

From the raw soul of a 24 year old John Lennon to an even younger Bonnie Raitt performing a classic, live on the radio, there is a quality in these performances that transcends the acrobatics and often soulless roster of American Idol winners and melismaniacs of the current R&B scene.

It's doesn't take Marvin Gaye much to make one melt, but on this obscurity, he really rubs it in your face. Speaking of melting, may I just say, Mr. Carl Wilson and Mr. Colin Blunstone. And if you're thinking, "Hey, I like melisma," well listen to some seasoned pros like Daryl Hall and Todd Rundgren with two of my favorite songs from two of my favorite singers.

As far as rock and roll, Robin Zander of Cheap Trick could be the most underrated singer of our time. And as I said in yesterday's post, my two choices for most beautiful voices in music, Emmylou Harris and Harry Nilsson.

TRACK LIST:

LEAVE MY KITTEN ALONE- THE BEATLES

I CAN'T TAKE IT- CHEAP TRICK

MILLWORKER- EMMYLOU HARRIS

AUGUST DAY- HALL & OATES

THE VERB TO LOVE- TODD RUNDGREN

OUR SWEET LOVE- THE BEACH BOYS

IT'S MADNESS- MARVIN GAYE

SINCE I FELL FOR YOU- BONNIE RAITT

I DON'T BELIEVE IN MIRACLES- COLIN BLUNSTONE

LIFE LIFE- HARRY NILSSON

Zip File is HERE

Enjoy the weekend.

No comments: