Tuesday, May 5, 2009

If It's Tuesday, It Must Be Street Date - 05/05/09











ARCTIC MONKEYS- LIVE AT THE APOLLO


Remember these guys? Weren't they the next Beatles, or was that the Kaiser Chiefs? Or The Futureheads? Or Kasabian? Ah, who knows? Here's a new live record recorded in Manchester for those still paying attention.




PAUL CARRACK- I KNOW THAT NAME

Maybe you don't know his name, but you know his voice. Carrack has been the voice behind hits for Squeeze, Mike & the Mechanics, and Ace of "How Long" fame. An in depth review written by my buddy Mike Ragogna can be found HERE.





CRACKER- SUNRISE IN THE LAND OF MILK & HONEY

I've got two words for you, SAL MAIDA. New record from David Lowery and the boys is also the first full-length record with touring bassist, the legendary Sal Maida (Sparks, Roxy Music, Mary Weiss).

Great stuff, and I'm not just saying that because Sal is a friend. He knows better.




BEN HARPER & THE RELENTLESS 7- WHITE LIES FOR DARK TIMES


I've been trying for years to like Ben Harper. I respect him and I give everyone of his releases a fair and attentive listen, but they always just leave me with that frozen smile on my face. His musicians can play, he can sing, and his spirit is relentless. I just find the material boring. On this record, Harper tries some funky rock and some raw rhythm and blues, and what we get is Lenny Kravitz with less hooks. Totally listenable, but just not more than once.





NEW YORK DOLLS- 'CAUSE I SEZ SO


35 years later, and down to two original members, the Dolls have Todd Rundgren back behind the boards for an infectious collection of tunes that doesn't stray too far from the raw energy of the classic debut. Even better than the solid comeback from 2006.






THE SMITHEREENS- TOMMY


After back to back Beatles' tributes, The Smithereens are back with their tribute to The Who. I don't know. Someone listen and tell ME.






YUSUF (CAT STEVENS)- ROADSINGER


New record from the finger-picking, Fatwa-slapping folkie, with special guests James Morrison & Michelle Branch. After all this time and all this tsuris, the best Mr. Islam can come up with is Michele Branch as a special guest?





BUCKWHEAT ZYDECO- LAY YOUR BURDEN DOWN


Stanley Dural celebrates his 30th anniversary making happy music with this new release produced by Los Lobos' Steve Berlin and featuring special guests Warren Haynes, Sonny Landreth & Trombine Shorty.

3 comments:

Michael in New York said...

Wait a moment. The Arctic Monkeys and Kaiser Chiefs have been two of my favorite acts of the '00s (or the Noughts). The Arctics' spin-off project The Last Shadow Puppets is especially terrific, pure 60s pop. Have you given it a whirl? And kaiser gets tougher and stronger with each record. I'm just saying...

Sal Nunziato said...

Really thought the second Kaisers record was lousy.

Noam Sane said...

I'm a Monkeys fan too...they definitely deserve a fair shake. Certainly one of the more interesting wordsmiths to come along in some time.

Sal, this is a great blog. I'm new here but stop by every day to see what you're up to. Thanks!