Thursday, July 30, 2009

Excuse Me, While I Popcorn: For Clyde Stubblefield, The Funky Drummer




I was informed by my friend Geno over at INTE BULLE, that legendary drummer Clyde Stubblefield is in need of a kidney transplant. Tom Alesia's full story is HERE. I will let his words explain.

As a drummer myself, I tend to initially lock into the groove and sound of the drums before I focus on just about anything else in a song. At live performances, I will fix my eyes on the drummer, even if Jeff Beck is front and center, tearing up "Pork Pie Hat." I just can't help it. And regarding Clyde Stubblefield, I can't stand it.
Stubblefield's steady grooves behind James Brown never failed to make my jaw drop. As good as The J.B.'s were, I have no doubt in my mind that when Clyde Stubblefield was in the band, they were better.

Here are two versions of "Give It Up & Turn It Loose." I am pretty certain that it is Stubblefield on the Mike Douglas Show, and almost certain that it is NOT Stubblefield in the clip from 1971. Both versions kick some funky butt, but there's something absolutely greasey about the version from 1969.





2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's a shame about Clyde , perhaps we should take up a collection ?

Anonymous said...

Whenever Clyde played behind Brown the groove was electric. He put something in the groove that no other drummer every did. Clyde knew Brown's moves and every accent with the horns was razor sharp. I was told by Marva Whitney that she loved Clyde and in her opinion he was the best drummer Brown ever had. Not to take anything from Melvin Parker(Maceo's brother), Nate Jones or Jabo Starks. Speaking of opinions, the baddest rhythum section in the world was Alfonzo Kellum, Jimmy Nolen, Charles Sherrell, and of course Clyde Stubblefield, one the most innovative and funkiest drummers that has lived in our lifetime.