Tuesday, July 21, 2009
If It's Tuesday, It Must Be Street Date - 07/21/09
IAN HUNTER- MAN OVERBOARD
The man is 70 years old and still has plenty to say. And he's kicking some rock and roll ass saying it. This is a brilliant release, with Hunter gracefully keeping up with the youngsters. Check back later this week for my detailed review over at Altercation. For now, Burning Wood is raving over "Man Overboard," a more than solid follow up to 2007's solid "Shrunken Heads." Solid.
JAY & THE AMERICANS- COMPLETE UNITED ARTISTS SINGLES
Collectors'Choice follows up their excellent Gary Lewis & The Playboys' collection with this exhaustive 3 CD, 66 track collection featuring every single A & B side in their original mono mixes, most for the very first time on CD. Or you can download "Come A Little Bit Closer" for a dollar. "VAMOOSE! JOSE'S ON HIS WAY!"
NICK LOWE- THE BRENTFORD TRILOGY
Interesting concept from one of my favorite labels, Yep Roc, as they package Nick Lowe's three brilliant indie releases, "The Impossible Bird," "Dig My Mood, and "The Convincer" into one very affordable box. YEP ROC: "These three records always represented a kind of trilogy to Nick and now for the first time, all three are being packed together in a very limited edition boxed set for hardcore fans and new believers alike." Not really sure why the hardcore fans would need it, but COME ON "new believers."
MATTHEW SWEET & SUSANNA HOFFS- UNDER THE COVERS VOLUME 2
"Under The Covers Volume 2" is more irresistible music from Sid 'n' Susie, the cutesy moniker adopted for the duo we know as Matthew Sweet and Susanna Hoffs. This time they tackle a bunch of AM/FM radio classics from the seventies. "Volume One" saw the kids get on board the sixties train, and while it was a lot of fun, Volume 2 throws a few more curve balls with some unlikely choices that really and truly work, such as the Yes classic "I've Seen All Good People" and Derek & The Dominoes' "Bell Bottom Blues," with Hoffs pleading the lead vocal. (sigh) There is also a download ONLY bonus disc that features 10 more tunes including takes on classics by Television, The Buzzcocks, Badfinger and Elvis Costello.
ALSO OUT THIS WEEK
THE FIERY FURNACES- I'M GOING AWAY
From All Music: Winter 2009, the Fiery Furnaces recorded I'm Going Away, a simpler, more stripped-down collection that drew on the warm sounds of '70s and '80s TV show theme songs like Taxi for inspiration. (Personally, I enjoy the earlier works inspired by "My Mother, The Car.")
INCUBUS- MONUMENTS & MELODIES
15 track hits collection, featuring the prerequisite 2 new tracks tacked on for sucker appeal.
COZY POWELL- TILT & OCTOPUSS
2nd and 3rd solo releases from the late, great drummer, courtesy of the interesting but sporadic reissue label, Lemon.
SUGAR RAY- MUSIC FOR COUGARS
First release in 6 years. (Has it been that long?)
WILD THING: THE SONGS OF CHIP TAYLOR
The other Voight brother and his wonderful songwriting is highlighted on this fantastic collection from ACE UK.
1. Wild Thing - The Troggs
2. I Can't Let Go - Evie Sands
3. I Can Make It With You - The Pozo Seco Singers
4. Try (Just A Little Bit Harder) - Lorraine Ellison
5. Angel Of The Morning - Merrilee Rush
6. Sneakin' Up On You - Peggy Lee
7. Country Girl-City Man - Billy Vera & Judy Clay
8. Welcome Home - Walter Jackson
9. Is That You - Arthur & Mary
10. PIcture Me Gone - Madeline Bell
11. I Can't Wait Until I See My Baby's Face - Aretha Franklin
12. Any Way That You Want Me - Tina Mason
13. Most Unusual Boy, A - Patti Austin
14. His True Love For You - Al McCarther
15. Make Me Belong To You - Barbara Lewis
16. My Johnny Doesn't Come Around Anymore - Debbie Rollins
17. Tommy - Reparata & The Delrons
18. Don't Say It Baby - Dusty Springfield
19. Wake Up John - Little Eva
20. Storybook Children - Nona Hendrix/Billy Vera
21. Run Home To Your Mama - Evie Sands
22. I'll Give My Heart To You - Kathy McCord
23. Son Of A Rotten Gambler - The Hollies
Posted by Sal Nunziato at 4:10 AM