Monday, August 24, 2009

Summer




I guess this really isn't a revelation so much as some self-indulgence. It's not as if my choices for "Songs That Feel The Most Like Summer" include side long epics by Amon Duul. It's a safe bet that what I've included here works for most of you, as well. There are so many songs that bring me back to so many places and remind me of so many people. As a kid, it was all about the radio and those great DJs of WABC-AM- Ron Lundy, Harry Harrison, Dan Ingram and Johnny Donovan.

Far Rockaway, Sheepshead Bay, Sip Avenue, Brighton Beach and Sullivan Street all pop up with specific snapshots every time I hear songs like "Our Day Will Come" by Ruby & The Romantics, "Band Of Gold" by Freda Payne, "The Worst That Could Happen" by The Brooklyn Bridge, "Along Comes Mary" by The Association, "Don't Worry Baby" by The Beach Boys," "Saturday In The Park" by Chicago... I could go on for another 50 or 60 songs easily.

This summer, for me at least, has been a bust. Crap weather, and the usual assortment of broken plans, financial misery, and missing friends are not what I remember from the summers of old. What I can never shake though, is the music. The music never fails to pick me up. The following five songs scream out summertime, and regardless of my mood, can drag me out of just about any mire













1 comment:

jeff said...

want to feel better for at least a couple of minutes?

myspace.com/thegalaxies

and listen to the three tunes they have posted from their terrific cd.

summer's not over yet, not with those guys on the stereo anyway.