Thursday, April 29, 2010

All You Really Need



"I'm not gonna lie, by 'Groovin'' I had tears in my eyes. The best, most electrifying group I ever saw. And I saw everybody! They sound great! Eddie scared me on "Ain't Gonna Eat..." Dino and Felix sound great. And Gene sounds like a punk guitarist. Not on board with the female singer, but minor quibbles aside, this totally killed me. Only a Beatles reunion would top it, that's what these guys mean to me."


Sal Maida, Bass Player in Cracker





It may be old news already, but in case you hadn't heard, hell has frozen over. The 4 original Rascals, Felix Cavaliere, Eddie Brigati, Gene Cornish and the absolute monster on the drum kit, Dino Danelli, reunited for the first time in 40 years, with a little help, and possibly some begging from Steve Van Zandt for this past Friday's Kristen Ann Carr benefit at the Tribeca Grill.

If you're only familiar with the hits, that's okay. Those dozen or so songs alone, are enough. No one sounded like The Rascals. They were a band that took the best parts of rock and roll, rhythm and blues, and turned it all into some of the most beloved music of the sixties.

This reunion had train wreck written all over it. But man, did The Rascals deliver. This is raw soul.

Broadcast live over Sirius Radio, here is the full program. It is one long MP3, but you'll be glad you have it.

I've Been Lonely Too Long
In The Midnight Hour
I Ain't Gonna Eat Out My Heart Anymore
You Better Run
It's A Beautiful Morning
Love Is A Beautiful Thing
Groovin'
A Girl Like You
How Can I Be Sure
Come On Up
What Is The Reason
People Got To Be Free
Good Lovin'
See


ZIP FILE

19 comments:

Ken D said...

Just thank you, thank you, thank you!

cpop said...

A big, big, big MERCI from a french lover of the Rascals.

Eric

cmealha said...

Wow. Hadn't heard about this. The Rascals at Carnegie Hall was the first concert I ever went to and to this day it is one of my favorite concerts ever. They were simply great. Can't wait to tear into this. Ditto on what Ken D said.

Elizabeth C. said...

To quote Jonathan Richman, I'm straight, but if you were here I'd kiss you Sal.

FD13NYC said...

Wow Sal! This is really terrific. A great post. One of my favorite bands. I know Dino is one of your heroes too. Certainly a once in a lifetime reunion.

Was this show just for the privileged people who donated to the foundation? God, I would've loved to have been there. So close and didn't know about it. Did you happen to go?

Sal Nunziato said...

Pretty sure you either had to know someone, or have $2500 for the ticket. So, no. I did not attend.

steves said...

Holy guacamole! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Sal, i was there and the download you've provided doesn't do justice to the show, it was blazing!
The hair on the back of my neck stood up for the entire show and i felt like i was walking on clouds for the next 4 days.
Glad you posted this for the masses.

George Carmelide

jeff said...

and if i weren't straight and married it might even be an open-mouthed kiss.

Anonymous said...

Sal, I knew we could rely on you!

Troy said...

I haven't heard it yet, but I did read somewhere that Bruce and Steve joined in on 'Good Lovin'. Sounds like an amazing night.

Have you ever heard the album that Felix did with Steve Cropper a few years ago? It was pretty decent. What a great voice.

steve simels said...

I actually saw these guys headline at the Batman show at Shea Stadium. That's right -- the Batman show, as in Adam West and Burt Ward.

They were great, of course, and so is this -- thanks for the link.

BTW, one of my college girlfriends has been living with Dino Danelli since the early 70s. I googled her recently, and the only thing I came up with was that she and Dino were involved in a big lawsuit, and that apparently he lost the rent controlled apartment they've shared since back in the day.

He probably doesn't have health insurance, either.

Ain't fame wonderful?

Gene Oberto said...

I haven't heard a note, but already I'm drooling. I know that if it wasn't top shelf, you wouldn't have put it up.

Many, many thanks for reminding us that for a certain section of the country, The Young Rascals were the answer to the Brits. Never stuck in Lodi, again, these guys were OUR band-they could play at a smoker (Ain't Gonna Eat Out My Heart, Anymore) or at your cousins wedding (A Place in the Sun). Hell, the "Peppermint Twist" would enshrine them as NYC Band Legends.

As always, Tack så mycket!

Anonymous said...

"old news"???? This is new news to me, Thanks.
I hope it's not just a one-off show.

Funny that Sal Maida's fave band didn't have a bass player..

david Tepper said...

Sal
thanks for the music. just fabulous. can you help me with some info? what was danelli's kit. (number of drums, sizes etc.) thanks
david t.

Sal Nunziato said...

David, I wish I could tell you. That means I would have been there. Hopefully, someone who was is reading this and will have an answer for you.

itsok2beright said...

This sounded great. Not sure if you knew, but they reunited two years ago for a show at the Tabernacle in Mount Tabor.

Sal Nunziato said...

It couldn't have been all 4 members, itsok2beright.

lisab said...

Well they had Chuck Rainey on their records, who
played shit on "Girl Like You" that was up there with
James Jamison!