Tuesday, June 8, 2010

If It's Tuesday, It Must Be Street Date: 6/8/10 (THE OLD & CRANKY EDITION)



AGAINST ME!- WHITE CROSSES

Here's what my friend G.T. had to say about this:

"Just heard a most horrible song, Against Me!'s (Seriously? An exclamation point? I'm getting old and cranky.) "I Was A Teenage Anarchist" on the radio. If you feel compelled to write a POP song about the subject, then no, you were not."

"I was a teenage anarchist
But then the scene got too rigid
It was mob anekatips.com mentality
They set their rifle sights on me
Narrow visions of autonomy
You want me to surrender my identity
I was a teenage anarchist
The revolution was a lie"

MORE HERE--->http://www.amazon.com/White-Crosses-Deluxe/dp/B003O6MSPM/ref=dm_cd_album_lnk_alt?ie=UTF8&qid=1275996133&sr=8-2









CHRISTINA AGUILERA- BIONIC


Jon Pareles said this, "This is the way to ring tone sales and radio play, until the next sexbot struts off the assembly line."

WANT IT?--->http://www.amazon.com/BIONIC-DELUXE-Explicit-Christina-Aguilera/dp/B003G4DFRC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1275996332&sr=1-1










THE CURE- DISINTEGRATION (3 CD DELUXE EDITION)


"3 CD edition includes a remastered version of the original album and a 20 track disc of outtakes and demos. The third disc contains an expanded version of the live album Entreat, containing live versions of every song on Disintegration recorded during a 1989 three-night stand at London's Wembley Arena. You also get a 20-page booklet with previously unreleased photos and art and a period overview from Cure frontman Robert Smith. Smith is responsible for compiling, producing, and supervising the mastering of the whole shebang."

BUY IT--->http://www.amazon.com/Disintegration-Deluxe-3CD-Cure/dp/B0030U1TLQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1275996541&sr=1-1








DEER TICK- BLACK DIRT SESSIONS


Citing Neil Young and Townes Van Zandt as influences, John McCauley, the voice behind Deer Tick, has a raspy drawl that almost works, on this not bad collection of Americana...I guess. I mean...not really. I honestly don't find any of these overhyped "Deer" bands interesting, but I'm trying (and failing miserably) to lose the cranky reputation. This sounded good at the start and got increasingly less listenable.
You could get the whole download for $3.99, should you want it.

GET IT--->http://www.amazon.com/Black-Dirt-Sessions-Deer-Tick/dp/B003G7DSGC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1275996581&sr=1-1




(I hate the Fleet Foxes. Just sayin...)








HANSON- SHOUT IT OUT

They write some pretty hooky shit, I'll give'em that. The pop is there, but so is a bit of R&B. Legendary Funk Brother Bob Babbitt makes an appearance, as well. (I didn't turn it off, if that says anything. And I liked it a helluva lot more than "Tinted Windows.")

BUY IT--->http://www.amazon.com/Shout-Out-Hanson/dp/B003HE2B6C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1275996700&sr=1-1







KRISTEN HERSH- CATS & MICE


My friend A.K. threatened me with this, "If you like anything off this piece of shit, we're through." Well, I can't say I've heard anything, so I'm safe for now.

BUY IT--->http://www.amazon.com/Cats-Mice-Kristin-Hersh/dp/B003J73P9E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1275996741&sr=1-1









JEWEL- SWEET & WILD

Oh boy...








THE LA'S- CALLIN' ALL (4 CD BOX)

This is just plain offensive! One admittedly classic record in 1991, and over 20+ CD reissues since, featuring remixes, demos, remasters, original running orders, the "Mike Hedges" version, b-sides, UK imports, Japanese imports, 2 CD deluxe editions, and now this---"4 CDs of the band's remaining unreleased rarities & outtake recordings, which are being officially released for the first time on one comprehensive set. Also includes previously unheard live recordings fom London s Town And Country Club in 1989 & The Marquee in 1991. Packaged hardback box with a 60 page booklet with extensive liner notes by journalist and author Will Hodgkinson as well as never seen before photos of the band by Paul Cox. 95 tracks."

This reminds me of the joke, or maybe it was a Simpsons episode, where a new Starbucks opens inside a Starbucks.

IT'S HERE--->http://www.amazon.com/Callin-All-Box-Set-Las/dp/B003AYBCLY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1275996779&sr=1-1








TEENAGE FANCLUB- SHADOWS

I've always found Teenage Fanclub to be just a bit overrated...JUST A BIT. Good records all, but nothing ever hit me with the same intensity as Big Star or even Badfinger, who they are so often compared. "Shadows" has some really pretty stuff going on, even if some of it sounds a bit like America. Still, a welcome release, worthy of your time.

BUY IT--->http://www.amazon.com/Shadows-Teenage-Fanclub/dp/B003HE2BLW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1275996986&sr=1-1








VILLAGERS- BECOMING A JACKAL


Villagers are just one man, Young Dubliner Conor J. O'Brien. And this one man show is a beauty from head to tail. There is a bit of an early Paul Simon influence here, both in his voice and his songwriting, at least that's what I'm hearing, and these 11 tracks will seep into your system for good. Great stuff.

BUY IT--->http://www.amazon.com/Becoming-Jackal-Villagers/dp/B003H6Z0IQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1275997234&sr=8-1

16 comments:

soundsource said...

re: the La's even though I do agree with you unfortunately for me it is a box set and it isn't Celine Dion.

Meanstreets said...

E Gads Sal, What a " new release " week it is !!! Relax, Meanstreets does not hold you " fully " responsible.

Hey Sal,
What about the Tribute CD to Shel Silverstein with various artists as John Prine, Lucinda, Kristofferson, Nanci Griffith & the great Ray Price ?

Sal Nunziato said...

Is that Shel tribute this week? I didn't see it.

Meanstreets said...

It's called " Twistable Turntable Man ".......Musical Tribute to the Songs of Shel Silverstein...
My " roots " web - sites all relect today as the release date.

Meanstreets said...

What Meanstreets is listening to :

Norah Jones - Live in New Orleans

Patty Griffin - Living With Ghosts

Norah Jones - The Fall

Patty Griffin - Downtown Church

Buddy & Julie Miller - Written in Chalk

**** Patty Griffin & Buddy Miller at Town Hall tonight, & tomorrow.

Norah Jones free concert at Prospect Park tomorrow, weather permitting....

Troy said...

Wow. I realize not every week is going to have banner new releases, but that is a truly sad list today. Not your fault, of course...I'm not meaning to shoot the messenger or anything.

Guess I'll stick with live 'River' show and the JF sets from Allen Toussaint and Galactic for now...

Anonymous said...

Meanstreets, you really have cutting edge taste, don'tcha?

Cam O'Reilly

Anything Should Happen said...

Oy Sl,

I thought I was going to have be one of those NME Letter writers when I started to read your TFC post but I think you recovered nicely.

Fully agree with you about Hanson.
I don't think I'd have bought it (well had it given to me by a desperate PR guy) but for Tinted Windows (and I agree with you about them), but it is pretty good.

The La's - I was close to their circle for a while and disappeared when Maver discovered anything he could ingest.

The album was of it's time, fantastic though it was, what has followed has been a 20 year marketing campaign as though he was Elvis and dead.

Perhaps only The Stone Roses can compare for similar dredging.

It's a daily bleeding anniversary.

Troy said...

One new release that I will be checking out is the new Grace Potter & the Nocturnals.

steve simels said...


This reminds me of the joke, or maybe it was a Simpsons episode, where a new Starbucks opens inside a Starbucks.


That made me spew ice tea on my monitor.

Meanstreets said...

Mr. O'Reilly,

What is your point ?

Leslie said...

In my area Target store there is a Starbucks. In the parking lot of said Target store, there is a stand alone Starbucks. They've both been open for a couple years, both survived the big Starbucks scale down so I guess it works.

Gene Oberto said...

Sal,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENGUYeiGtNk&NR=1

Meanstreets said...

Sal,
There is a real Bru - Ha - Ha building over Tom Petty's new release next week......

Your thoughts ?

Sal Nunziato said...

Still on the fence. I'm a fan, so I'm giving it a few more spins before I weigh in. But so far, sounds like pretty standard.

nc said...

Gene O...

that Lewis Black bit is classic... one of his best....