Friday, September 17, 2010

"Eric Clapton. Just Sayin'..." : THE WEEKEND MIX



So how 'bout that Clapton post, eh? I was coddled and compared to a Nazi both in one day. The latter comment was wisely set aside for future use.

In the meantime, here are some of my very favorite Eric Clapton moments. I didn't bother with Cream, because...well...that's too easy.

The selections here are not just about the guitar playing, but the overall vibe, something that seems to gnaw at me more than a lot of you, when talking about "God's" latter day output.

The three tracks I've included from "Me & Mr. Johnson" are NOT from the CD, but from the bonus DVD of the band live in the studio, which to me is a perfect example of what E.C. can do when he's not thinking and just letting her rip. "Little Queen Of Spades" is hot shit.

The Bluesbreakers track is a b-side and is really what Clapton is all about, no?

The version of "I Shot The Sheriff" is from a 2004 Madison Square Garden appearance, a performance I tried to get my friend to accompany me to, but instead, got a bored harrumph. (Do you blame him?) This is one of the solos he missed and admitted regretting, when I sent him the track.

Two George Harrison tracks, one from the "Concert For George," the other from a Japanese show in September of 2009.

You know The Yardbirds.

The Beck/Clapton duet is from "Crossroads."

The Buddy Guy/Clapton duet is from the outstanding "Concert For New York" in 2001.

TRACK LIST

I Ain't Got You
Telephone Blues
Hoochie Coochie Man
Hell Hound On My Trail
Little Queen Of Spades
Love In Vain (Take 2)
Isn't It A Pity
Cause We've Ended As Lovers
Something
I Shot The Sheriff

ZIP FILE

9 comments:

Anything Should Happen said...

You've just ruined my weekend Sal!

BTW, we'll swap comments and I'll dig out some of the emails I had when embarking on similar ground with The Who.

soundsource said...

Mr. Wood, just curious how come nothing from his first solo album or any of his Delaney & Bonnie stuff?

Sal Nunziato said...

I chose songs that people may not have heard, and mostly what floats my boat. I do LOVE all Delaney & Bonnie stuff, and I do (kinda) like the first solo album, but I went with this.

jeff kisseloff said...

I thought he had some terrific moments at Bobfest. I might have them if I can find our CDs.

Anonymous said...

Totally support your comment on The Clap. Been saying this myself for nearly two decades. Weak white blues and sap pop. Shockingly soulless for a guy who by all accounts should know oh so much better. Cringeworthy at best when he robs the sacred delta cradle.

Hard to think of one Brit invasion guitarist or artist who didn't devolve into bathos and self-parody. Beck sorta kinda maybe, but all a buncha Rod Stewarts if you ask me, and The Clap's been bucking big for Chairman Of The Bored.

Anything Should Happen said...

Yeah Anon - I've been thinking hard about the Brit Invasion guitarists and I think there's just probably Beck.

soundsource said...

i'd have to say Peter Green has held up well but then he disappeared for x number of years

shadreck said...

Looking forward to listening to this mix. FWIW the last clapton I bought was the Crossroads anthology.

Noam Sane said...

It was still working on 461 Ocean Blvd. - at least for me. Since then, strictly Tulsa Time.

I'm trying to talk myself into downloading this. But then, in my mind, I hear, "I get off on '57 Chevys..."