Monday, February 7, 2011

Gary Moore, R.I.P.


Gary Moore recorded exactly one album with Thin Lizzy, 1979's "Black Rose." And a fine album it was. Yet, Moore's presence, not to mention his fiery fretwork, seemed to be all over all things Lizzy. You couldn't mention the band without mentioning the guitarist.

Moore seemed to abandon all but the blues since the early 90s. But the man played it all, from his early days with Skid Row, to his time with the jazz fusion ensemble Colosseum to of course, his on again/off again romance with Phil Lynott. I never really knew if it was a Billy Martin/George Steinbrenner relationship, or if Moore just came to Lynott's aid when he was in trouble.

I have been wanting to do a Thin Lizzy post or mix since day one. I may this weekend. It's a shame that this was the catalyst.

Gary, you will be missed.




3 comments:

Albert said...

Well we got to see him many moons ago at the Palladium on the Black Rose tour...with an equally thrilling BOC...long considered my favorite concert-experience well before losing Lynott and now Moore...thank the Lord for small favors...

FRANCIE said...

SAL, AS A BIG "THIN LIZZY" FAN ALL ALONG, I THANK YOU FOR THIS POSTING. I APPRECIATED "GARY MOORE" AS A TALENT NOT ONLY KNOWN FROM "THIN LIZZY". "GARY MOORE" RIP

mark burgess said...

I first seen Gary moore play with collasium on the southbank show only a few seconds but enough to convince me to find our more. Next was on the old grey whilstle test playing dont believe a word so i bought back on the streets and loved it. In them days gary was not much od a singer and when he toured with G forece he used someone else who was awful Gary worked hard and become a decent singer and one of my all time guitar heroes I will miss him and his playing badly and feel he never got the real recognition he deserved espcially is the usa because he was outspoken about satriani and Via etc. But he could really play I believe hois son plays and hope some of the talent has rubbed off . RIP Gary you were not around long enough and i hpe your looking down somewhere and see how much people loved you.

mark