Monday, March 14, 2011

Ron Sexsmith's Pop Masterpiece


I've always found Ron Sexsmith better digested in small doses.  When I dive head first into any of his records, it's the musical equivalent of having one too many pieces of chocolate cake. Rich and satisfying his songs may be, but occasionally the texture and sweetness of his voice is too much for me 10-12 songs in a row.

 "Long Player, Late Bloomer," his just released new CD, is the first Ron Sexsmith record that has solved that problem. Maybe it's the abundance of upbeat, McCartney-esque pop gems that sucked me right in, or maybe it's that I've laid off chocolate cake for a while, but this new collection of tunes begs to be played over and over.

Songs like "Love Shines" and "Every Time I Follow" rival Sir Paul's finest solo work, and like McCartney, Sexsmith's lyrics can sometimes rot your teeth. But also, like McCartney, he pulls it off by writing melodies that are both triumphant and heartbreaking.  Dare I say it, but "Long Player Late Bloomer" is a pop masterpiece and Ron Sexsmith's finest work. And he's put out some fine work.

Listen to "Believe It When I See It." It's the one I latched onto, and just one of a dozen brilliant tunes off "Long Player Late Bloomer."



8 comments:

Anonymous said...

i've loved ron sexsmith since his blue boy album i think? just my heart talkin' has always killed me...especially after seeing him do it live pepped up a bit like a lost powerpop classic. anyway, thanks for the heads up. can't wait to hear his new work.

cmealha said...

I'm on the same page as you. There have been gems over the years that I love but I've never bought one of his albums in its entirety. A month or so ago one of your blog followers mentioned the new upcoming album and I listened to a couple of the tracks, including "Believe It When I see It". I was really impressed and was looking forward to its release. He has delivered and I've finally bought one of his albums. Great stuff for pop lovers.

steve simels said...

That's actually quite lovely, but despite the obvious Macca and Beatles signifiers, the song itself reminds me of some of the pop stuff on Springsteen's "Magic" for some reason.

Sal Nunziato said...

Actually, Steve, what I heard was "Blazing Saddles"(opening of each verse) crossed with "Girls In Their Summer Clothes," (chorus) but didn't want to possibly ruin it for anyone.

steve simels said...

Great minds run in concentric circles, I guess.
:-)

Kevin said...

"Love Shines" from the new album is a freebie download at Amazon.

Michael said...

Love Ron, great songwriter. I think is voice doesn't quite resonate, which makes listening to and albums worth of material hard at one sitting.
By the way there is a new documentary on Sexsmith, "Love Shines"
Here's a review at Popmatters
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/review/138226-love-shines/

Chris Swartout said...

I have been a fan since the first record and I find him to be a short story writer who sings. I was reading a lot of Richard Bausch when I first listened to RS so I always seem to equate the two of them.

And I agree that this record is probably his finest to date. I am extremely excited to see him on the 28th at the Highline Ballroom. It's going to be a great show.