Friday, June 15, 2012

"Mood Swingin'" : THE WEEKEND MIX



This is definitely a moody selection of songs and not your usual collection of pounders or stompers. It's not all melancholy, but as I pieced it together over the last two weeks, I did see a theme taking shape, so I ran with it.  If I do say so myself, it really plays out nicely.

Enjoy. There are some great things here, including my favorite Tom Petty tune, my favorite Delaney & Bonnie tune, a gem from the Beach Boys, an absolute heartbreaker from the new Bonnie Raitt, Moby Grape's "8:05" which I could listen to on repeat, a track from one of my favorite albums of all time, Wilco's "Summerteeth," and a late career classic from the "Chairman Of The Board."

Get moody!

TRACKLIST

(I Love It When You) Call Me Names- Joan Armatrading
Come See About Me- The Afghan Whigs
Don't Let Me Down- Dillard & Clark
I'm Gonna Put Some Hurt On You- Alvin Robinson
Pouring Water On A Drowning Man- James Carr
Talk To Me- Bruce & The ESB
Acid Tongue-Jenny Lewis
I Put A Spell On You- Alan Price
She's A Jar- Wilco
Hurt- Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers
8:05- Moby Grape
Not Cause I Wanted To- Bonnie Raitt
Leaving This Town- The Beach Boys
A Long Night- Frank Sinatra
When The Battle Is Over- Delaney & Bonnie

zip





11 comments:

Rob said...

Well now. Is this the soundtrack I want to go along with my current uncertain state of mind? Maybe it is. Life isn't all stompers and groovers after all. And I have come to trust your choices, Sal, so I will give it a spin.

'She's a Jar' is quite simply one of the very best songs ever written. The last line punches you in the solar plexus every damn time.

iggy said...

Wonderful material, Sal. Have a good weekend.

Yggi

A walk in the woods said...

Looks great Sal! I'm looking forward to hearing that Dillard & Clark (a Beatles cover??) and the Sinatra and all of it. Cheers!

steve simels said...

I thought I was the only person who liked that Afghan Whigs Supremes cover.
:-)

JAYESSEMM said...

This mix is great!

Many thanks Sal.

FD13NYC said...

Nice eclectic mix Sal. Plus the funny photo of the late great Frank Fontaine. If anyone really remembers who he is and what his schtick was. He was an early version of Gomer Pyle. Have a good weekend!

soundsource said...

haven't even downloaded it yet byt any mix with D&B, Dillard&Clark, Beach&Boys, Moby&Grape, James&Carr, Bonnie&Raitt and Tom&Petty&maybesomeheartbreakers and also Frank Sinatra plus all those other not half bad fellas like Alan&Price and Joan&Armatrading looks pretty good to me

Anonymous said...

Thanks Sal for the share. Loved the James Carr and Jenny Lewis tracks.


Great work


Regards

Rhod

jeff k said...

I wonder how many people remember Crazy Guggenheim.

Shriner said...

I forgot about that great Joan Armatrading song...

Whatever happened to her?

Sal Nunziato said...

@Shriner

She just put a new record out. I think she's been releasing music consistently in the UK, but apparently lost her US audience years ago