Friday, July 27, 2012

"Fuggets" : THE WEEKEND MIX



Remember that record collection I purchased about a month ago? Well, as Smokey once expressed, it's really got a hold on me. This week, I've been dipping my ears in the psych and pop waters of the 60s and 70s and realizing that there are people out there who will sacrifice their first born for a vinyl copy of Twink's solo debut. Sadly, I'm starting to understand.

That Twink record, along with some other fine gems like the Blossom Toes, a record called "Ultra Violet's Hot Parts" which is essentially The Left Banke, and Steve Howe's first band Tomorrow, put me in this "Nuggets" kind of mood.

So that is why and this is this because.

SOME QUICK THOUGHTS:

"Piper At The Gates Of Dawn" may not be what you think of when you think Pink, but it is essential and yes, my favorite Pink Floyd record.

In keeping with yesterday's post, how about Fairport Convention? That first album with Judy Dyble is almost boogie. And how about that psych version of "Chelsea Morning?" In comes Sandy Denny, quite possibly the most beautiful voice ever, and BOOM...sea shanties and Celtic workouts.

I wish I could find the interview, but I am pretty sure when Andy Partridge was asked if there were any songs he wished he had written, he said, "Autumn Almanac" by Ray Davies and "I Can't Let Maggie Go" by The Honeybus. Trust me.

And speaking of Ray Davies, did you know that he produced The Turtles' album "Turtle Soup?" Did you know that it was a great record that even sounds like The Kinks at times?

Fugget.

Enjoy, I hope.

TRACKLIST

Lucifer Sam (Mono)- Pink Floyd
When I Get My Plane- Nazz
I've Got Something On My Mind- The Left Banke
It's Alright Ma, It's Only Witchcraft- Fairport Convention
My White Bicycle- Tomorrow
Midsummer Night's Scene- John's Children
Susan- The Buckinghams
I Can't Let Maggie Go- The Honeybus
Baby, Your Phrasing Is Bad- Caleb
Maybe The People Would Be The Times Or Between Clark & Hilldale- Love
Little Girl- The Jynx
House On The Hill- The Turtles
My World Fell Down- Sagittarius

PSYCH


13 comments:

steve simels said...

"Baby, Your Phrasing is Bad"?


Obviously, I've never heard of that one, and if it's half as good as the title, I'm stealing it for a blogpost of my own.

Thanks for the great playlist, obviously -- can't wait to download this one.

Anonymous said...

Wow, I'm really diggin your selections. Love the inclusion of Sagittarius and Tomorrow. The only one I might have added would have been I See the Rain by the Marmalade. Can't wait to listen!

buzzbabyjesus said...

It's a good one but there's a typo in the title. It should be "Baby, Your Phasing Is Bad".
"My White Bicycle" features Carl Palmer on drums.
"Piper" is my favorite Floyd album, too. I don't know why "Vegetable Man" was left off the box set.

Shriner said...

Everybody should find a copy of "Turtle Soup". The reissue adds 8 fantastic bonus tracks. Very Highly Recommended...

Anonymous said...

This is already my favorite mix ever and I'm only 4 tracks in! I love this stuff.

In a token attempt to pay back Sal's generosity, I've uploaded a recent fave discovery, "Strawberry Tuesay," by Sidewalk Skipper Band. I'm not the most technologically competent person, but hope you can find it here...

http://www.mediafire.com/?k4xshgzc2yrczfa

Or here's a youtube link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6kXQ33zorA

Bruce H

buzzbabyjesus said...

The there's The Misunderstood. And The Creation.

Anything Should Happen said...

I was gonna post something, but I'd twat on forever as Psych Pop just makes me blab on and on and on.

Great Mix Sal!

JAYESSEMM said...

Brilliant mix Sal!

Thanks

Gene Oberto said...

Is it my imagination or was every cheezy theme song for TV and movies about the "younger generation" was bases on "Lucifer Sam?"

Theme Composer: "I know nothing about this stuff kids call music...

Producer (cigar clammped tightly in mouth, tosses over the single): "Here, this is something my daughter is listening to. Make it sound like this noise, eh?"126

A walk in the woods said...

Excellent - love the "My White Bicycle" song. ANd that Nazz tune is a new one on me. Thanks!

James A. Gardner said...

That Buckingham track is a William Guercio production, isn't it? Love the song, and the tacked-on psych touches remind me of my beloved Giant Crab. This mix looks great, thanks, Sal.

misospecial said...

mark volman talked about ray davies and "turtle soup" in his q&a last week. he said they had squandered ray, that they had hired him because they had all these ideas about the record, and they were used to getting to do what they wanted to do, and they didn't want anybody who would actually produce the thing and give them direction.

and he thinks it's a shame that they went the self-indulgent route. he sure seemed like a sweet guy.

what a life he has led...

Anonymous said...

Oooh, thanks! Have a SERIOUS soft spot for this kind of thing - raise your hand if you're a hippie! - bill buckner