Thursday, January 3, 2013

A Bass Solo, But Please Go To The Bathroom When It's Over





The Palladia network ran a truncated version of Jeff Beck "Live At Ronnie Scott's" a few nights ago. I've had an audio bootleg of this performance for some time now, but I never got to see the commercially released DVD which came out in 2009. (Or I think it was 2009) I watched the first 20 minutes and immediately purchased the full show on Blu Ray. (I specify Blu Ray because only the Blu Ray includes a bonus set with the Big Town Playboys.)

May I just say, I have been officially blown away.

Jeff Beck's guitar playing is not news, but it continues to move me. As a drummer, it's hard for me to keep my eyes off of Vinnie Colaiuta, who astonishes for the entire 2 1/2 hours of this DVD. The set features a bit of everything from Beck's career, including "Beck's Bolero," whick kicks things off. There are also some special guests, like Eric Clapton, who tears it up with Jeff for a three song encore.

But what really did me in...what really made me levitate...was what took place between 1:25-2:38 during the "Blow By Blow" classic "Cause We've Ended As Lovers." 26 year old, bass-playing gift from the gods Tal Wilkenfeld's solo is simply one of the most beautiful stretches of music I have ever witnessed.

Please....enjoy...and be knocked out of your socks.


11 comments:

Lynchie from Aberdeen said...

Took my breath away - thankyou for sharing this.

Shriner said...

I always loved Vinnie's playing with FZ. Almost as much as Bozzio's

buzzbabyjesus said...

I've seen a few clips from this, and aside from it bordering on "lite" jazz, the playing is indeed superb. I've never owned a Jeff Beck album, and am not really a fan, but I can't deny his fluency. I don't really like the music, but watching him play without a pick, and working both the whammy bar and volume knob is fascinating. He is truly a monster.
The bass solo is as you described, and I smiled with Jeff.

soundsource said...

yeah i hate young great bass players like her they make me want to hang it up but then I just say to myself I just gotta get a little bit better than I am cause I ain't never gonna be her.....even though to quote Ali "I"m prettier"

Noam Sane said...

Every musician I know, who has seen this DVD, talks in hushed and revered tones about it. Simply one of the greatest live performance videos ever, and Tal is just as remarkable a performer as Beck. (OK, almost, and that's saying plenty.)

Anonymous said...

She is astounding and I love watching her play. If you can watch her and not smile, check your wrist for a pulse.

A walk in the woods said...

Jeff's reaction to her playing is the best of all - as is her huge, natural smile at the end. Love it.

Sal Nunziato said...

Yes, Jeff's reaction is great. But check out Vinnie's reaction. He's beaming and not for the camera.

cmealha said...

I've seen bits and pieces of this but have somehow missed this bit. She's obviously put in her 10,000 hours and then some. The joy shared by everyone involved is contagious.

Jeff Matthews said...

The. Whole Ronnie Scott's DVD is a treat. Tal is brilliant indeed. The other JB DVD worth checking out is his Rock n Roll Party which I also really enjoyed.

mpjedi2 said...

Thanks for highlighting the girl...I've been swooning over Tal for a year or so, now.