Monday, April 22, 2013

A Public Service Announcement Featuring Jeff Lynne



Tomorrow we will see the reissue of three Jeff Lynne projects, two of which pretty much disappeared without a trace when first released...or at least that's how I remember it.

There is Jeff's first solo record "Armchair Theatre," the 2001, ELO in name only, neglected classic "Zoom," and a live record from the ill-fated 2001 tour, which was originally a DVD only. All three have been remastered and include bonus material, and all three are available as a nice package for $29.99 over at Amazon.



I can't recommend "Zoom" enough. Essentially a Jeff Lynne solo record with appearances by ELO keyboardist Richard Tandy, and Beatles George & Ringo, this collection of songs rivals the best of Lynne's career. It was released at the wrong place at the wrong time. The record tanked and the tour was cancelled. But I can say without hesitation, "Zoom" is one brilliant pop record and a personal fave.




5 comments:

buzzbabyjesus said...

Good tunes. Ever the fickle fan I remember tuning out at "Discovery", which we called "Very Disco".

jeff k said...

yup

Chris Collins said...

I liked "Armchair Theatre" quite a bit too. "Every Little Thing" and "Lift Me Up" were both very good songs.

buzzbabyjesus said...

One thing I'll say for ELO. They're not Supertramp.

cmealha said...

I bought Zoom when it came out and I don't remember anything special about it, then, recently, you posted a cut and my ears perked up. I realized I had it and went back to it. It's really really good. loved "Armchair Theatre" and this is a worthy companion. Thanks for bringing it back to me.