Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Kim Richey: 8th Time's The Charm




Kim Richey's been making CDs since 1995. I have a vague memory of listening to her debut while manning the counter at my shop. The only thing I can recall for sure was that most of her CDs, from the debut forward, ended up in the budget crates. As for the music, I couldn't tell you a thing. It's been a long time.

She's just released her 8th record, "Thorn In My Heart," on YepRoc Records. I decided to go in after reading some nice reviews and seeing some interesting special guests, including Jason Isbell and Pat Sansone form Wilco.

This is some wonderful stuff. There is nothing groundbreaking here and to me, that is a refreshing change of pace. It's nice to hear a seasoned pro just writing some good songs and having great players sing and play them. Pure and simple. Words and melodies.

That's it. I like the whole record. I like these two songs a lot.



4 comments:

Ken D said...

I have several Kim Richey albums (thank you, budget crates!) and after a couple of listens, this new one hasn't clicked with me the way others have...
But I'll try again on your say so.

Sal Nunziato said...

Ken, I have nothing to compare this new one to. It's the only one of the 8 I really listened to.

Ken D said...

I'd recommend her self-titled debut record and her best-of, "The Collection."

Jeff Matthews said...

She also sings backup on Jason Isbell's new release Southeastern.