Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Hipsters? Maybe.



Holy Ghost! are a Brooklyn-based, electro-pop duo. They're probably from Wisconsin and only just moved to Bushwick two years ago, sharing a one bedroom apartment with 5 other "artisans," tending to their cruelty-free, rooftop kale garden and selling organic cupcakes for pocket money. Then again, maybe they really are from Brooklyn. I just get all twitchy with the obnoxious overuse of the term "Brooklyn-based."

But I digress.

I love this track. Like Daft Punk, who have created a brilliant tribute to the 70's and 80's dance floors on "Random Access Memories," Holy Ghost! nails the 80's in the best possible ways on "Dumb Disco Ideas."

I haven't heard anything else off the album "Dynamics" yet. But this one is killing me.

(h/t cmealha)


11 comments:

rschoorl said...

Fun song, without the vocals it could be a Talking Heads backing track from the "Speaking In Tongues" days.

FD13NYC said...

Good stuff, disco-y and fun. I'd cut a little rug to it. This is my favorite disco song of all time. http://youtu.be/-oHhE6UH0V8

Sal Nunziato said...

I still have the 12", FD13NYC.

JAYESSEMM said...

Fun!

If someone had told me 30+ years ago that people would be nostalgic about disco music ...

But I'm sure the critics would call this stuff "Post Modernist Disco" :-)

Along the same lines I find myself playing The Broken Bells' "Hold On For Life" which channels the Bee Gees! http://www.brokenbells.com/

Eric said...

this makes me yearn for Crisco disco..

J. Loslo said...

Wikipedia says they grew up on the Upper West Side. Is that sort of like being from Wisconsin?

Ken J Xenozar said...

It is weird the way I used to hate dance music. It was LCD Soundsystem that made me realize there was an art to tapping into your cerebellum and making you shake your booty. Said booty is now shaking to this tune.

A walk in the woods said...

Reminds me of Suicide... I think Suicide is the most criminally underappreciated pathfinder of modern music around... Kraftwerk too, although they are much more lauded among techno/dance fans than Suicide, methinks.

kevin m said...

Post Modern Disco...that put a smile in my face. Well done.

And yes, the song is kinda catchy.

cmealha said...

I see the album is on your playlist. I haven't heard it. How are you finding it?

Sal Nunziato said...

I like the record. Every song reminds me of the great singles from that period. OMD, Depeche Mode, etc. Worth a listen.