Friday, December 13, 2013

"Holiday-ish #1": THE WEEKEND MIX



I tended bar at a corporate Christmas party last night. As soon as I walked into the lobby of the building, I heard "Jingle Bell Rock" by Bobby Helms piping in. I said hello to the doorman and made the comment, "I bet you've heard this song too many times today." He replied in a voice like molasses-

"Naw, baby. It's nice. It's only for a little while each year."

Well, I still hate "Jingle Bell Rock" by Bobby Helms, but the truth is, I don't hate Christmas music. And Mr. Wonderful Doorman is right, though I do enjoy mixing it up a bit. I also think that just adding sleigh bells to something doesn't make it a Christmas tune.

Exhibit A: This doosh!



"Now that the snow is falling down baby, my love is calling your name."

Does that even mean anything?

Here is the first "Holiday-Ish" mix of the year. It's by no means a "Christmas" mix. But it is something that I wouldn't mind hearing at a Christmas party or while stuffing a duck.

TRACKLIST

Love Train- The Holmes Brothers
Christmas Snow- The Buddha Heads
Street In The City- Pete Townshend & Ronnie Lane
Leaves That Are Green- Simon & Garfunkel
Mary- John Cale
Something True- Nilsson
Ooh La Oona- Euros Childs
Ain't No Chimneys In The Projects- Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings
Spring Can Really Hang You Up The Most- David Torkanowsky
Flyin' So High- The Rising Sons
Home Is Anywhere You Hang Your Head- Elvis Costello
Postcard From London- Ray Davies & Chrissie Hynde
Danny Boy- Charlie Haden & Hank Jones
Merry Christmas Baby- Charles Brown
Sweet Dreams- Roy Buchanan


zip


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You insult 'dooshes' everywhere sir!!

Cheers

obey gravity

JAYESSEMM said...

I've done pretty well avoiding the really bad Christmas music so far this year.

Of course the problem is BAD music not CHRISTMAS music.

This is a GOOD mix!

dogbreath said...

I think it best we gloss over your poultry-stuffing occupations and say a hale & hearty thank you for this fine, timely & not over-Christmassy Christmas mix. Most enjoyable!

Anonymous said...

This mix looks delightfully unencumbered by Bolton-ness, or by a need to hew unnecessarily to any yuletide theme. Thanks Sal!

iggy said...

Hi Sal. Thanks for these holiday mixes, and for all the kind and generous offerings throughout the years. All good wishes to you and yours.

Iggy