Friday, September 5, 2014

The Weekend Mix: 9/5/14

One friend made a few suggestions for the first post-hiatus Weekend Mix. Two of them were worthy of the research. Unfortunately, both will have to wait, as I got caught up in a folder I keep in iTunes called "Off The Shelves," which is essentially stray tracks, one-offs, singles, b-sides and the one or two songs I like from albums I don't care for as a whole.

(The name "Off The Shelves," for those interested, came from the CDs I would take off the used shelves at my store, to burn the one song or two I wanted before the CD sold.)

There are a couple of tunes here, like "Sunlight" by The Youngbloods or "Blue Bleezin' Blind Drunk" by Linda Thompson, that do not fall into this category, as I love both the records these songs came from. Same with the Costello. But I wanted to include them for your listening pleasure.

Anyway....I think it sounds good all together.

Hope you dig it.



buzzbabyjesus said...

I call them "Loose Grooves" over here. And the compilations are all "Now That's What I Call Bullshit". So many albums are just one or two songs and a bunch of filler.

whattawino said...

It's Madisoy Time....Hit It!



The 6.0 in the mix title reminds me I missed wishing Burning Wood a Happy Birthday.

I'm listening to the mix right now. As Betty Wright might say "It has a TRUCKLOAD of you-know-what!"

Have a great weekend.

dogbreath said...

Even better than "The Return of Django" or "Return of the King" or " Return That CD I Lent You In 1994" is the Return of the Weekend Mix. Welcome back indeed! Full of tracks I know nothing about, of course, but I'm looking forward to rectifying my ignorance. Many thanks for the download & have a good weekend

Anonymous said...


So glad to see that you've re-charged the batteries and have revived Burning Wood.

At first glance this looks like a great mix. The Stroll is my favourite Diamonds' track.

Would you roll your eyes if I requested a future mix of great Mono singles (Part II)? Part 1 has its own playlist on my ipod.

M. Spins said...


Sorry about the duplicate comments - don't know how the first by 'Anonymous' was published before I signed in.

Anonymous said...

Welcome Back Sal

Missed Ya

The sax on the stroll is sooo good
and the Jive Bombers great mix



Anonymous said...

yay! my Friday fix!

A walk in the woods said...

Ahhh... the musical world is back in order: Weekend Mixes are back. Thanks Sal!