Monday, July 6, 2015

Rickie Lee Jones: New Home, New Orleans, New Label, New Album



In the summer of 1982, I saw Rickie Lee Jones live, touring behind her second record "Pirates." It was an almost three hour performance and for many years later, I was calling it the best concert I had ever seen. That's when I fell in love with Rickie Lee.

I fell out of love with Rickie Lee after a series of uninspired releases beginning with 1997's trip-hop affair, "Ghostyhead", though I will admit, Miss Jones sure knows how to spin a cover, which she has done three times in her career, first on 1991's brilliant "Pop Pop," and again on 2000's "It's Like This" and 2012's "The Devil You Know."

But a songwriting drought and some bad juju with record labels (never heard that one before) pushed Rickie Lee Jones out of the west and into the south. With a new home in New Orleans and inspiration that can only come from the Crescent City,  Rickie Lee Jones has started a new label and released a new record. Both are named "The Other Side Of Desire" and this record is Rickie Lee's best release since the aforementioned "Pirates." Of course, you will have needed to already be a fan of Miss Jones, as "The Other Side Of Desire" will not necessarily break new ground and certainly won't change the minds of those who never quite got her style of singing.

For fans of New Orleans and its musicians, the following names will mean something to you: James Singleton, Jon Cleary, Matt Perrine, Doug Belote, David Torkanowksy and the Lost Bayou Ramblers. For those unfamiliar, trust me. These are the guys you want playing on your record.

While songs like the Cajun beauty "Valtz de Mon Pere," the Fats Domino swamp of "J'ai Connais Pas" and "Christmas In New Orleans," have an obvious nod to the city, "TOSOD" is not all waltzing and second-lining. The opener "Jimmy Choos" is the obvious single, having an upbeat, pop-feel like Rickie's first single "Chuck E's In Love." But it is the trio of songs, "Infinity," "Haunted" and "Feet On The Ground" that stand-out, with the latter sounding like some sparse soul hymn, with help from Jon Cleary on vocals.

This is a strong record, and as someone who has spent a lot of time in New Orleans, I know how that city can truly bring out the best in people. You can hear it loud and clear on this fantastic new record.



10 comments:

ag said...

Congratulations, Sal! I've been waiting an awfully long time for the words "fantastic" and "new" to appear together in one of your reviews...can't wait to hear the album!

Sal Nunziato said...

ME TOO, ag!

JAYESSEMM said...

I like the album VERY MUCH.

It is like reconnecting with an old friend.

Anonymous said...

Hello all...no please remain seated,

Definitely lost track of RLJ. Her first album was a college soundtrack to...well, never mind that. I loved that and Pirates, but fell out of love with her well before you. Interestingly enough, the causal agent was an early 80's NYC concert...clearly, I wasn't at the same show as you. Her show at the pier ranks as one of the worst shows I've ever attended. Blown chord changes, forgotten lyrics, going offstage during guitar solos, but without the fun aspects that accompanied those same activities at a 70's Stones or Faces concert. Consistency is the hobgoblin...blah, blah, blah....

After that, I coudn't get past the baby-voiced, slurred vocal mannerisms. Maybe it's time to give her another at bat?

RichD

Sal Nunziato said...

At RichD--the Pier show is exactly the show I was talking about. We sure saw THAT differently.

Anonymous said...

Hello all...no, please remain seated,

Sal..wow, that's pretty funny. And, actually kind of cool, I guess. Just shows how subjective music can be. Same show, same notes being heard, but processed completely differently.

BTW...one of my oldest, neighborhood buddies was posted backstage (NY's finest)at that show. Met him afterwards and he told me what RLJ was doing during the guitar solos. Made me understand the blown lyrics and chord changes.

RichD

buzzbabyjesus said...

I've never heard any of her records. Clearly I'm not a fan, but I think this song sounds really good. Great sound and feel. The vocal is inviting, and not in the least bit off-putting. I got through the whole thing without thinking about listening to something else.

A walk in the woods said...

Love Rickie Lee and am enjoying this new record. Also, at least to judge by her Facebook posts, I'm enjoying how much SHE is enjoying this new record - the idea of adding one more link to her legacy.

Elroy said...

I love Pirates and loved Flying Cowboys almost as much. Then like Sal, I couldn't find the same things in her music. I tried hard to like Sermon on Exposition Blvd but it wasn't the same.

But, looking forward to this one very much! Thanks for pointing it out.

kevin m said...

thanks for recommending this sal. it's excellent! just purchased this record off of iTunes. best $10 I spent this weekend.