Thursday, March 3, 2016

The Return Of Marjorie Fair




It's been 12 years since I predicted that Marjorie Fair were going places. I wasn't wrong. Capitol Records dropped them before they could complete their follow-up to 2004's excellent "Self Help Serenade."

Since then, there have been threats of new songs, some new band members and now finally, a new record.  "I Am My Own Rainbow" the new Marjorie Fair record, has an official release slated for 3/25/16. This makes me happy. "Self-Help Serenade" was a terrific debut, full of strong melodies and arrangements that fulfilled my fantasy of wondering what a band would sound like if their two biggest influences were Big Star and Pink Floyd. (Mileage on your ears may vary.)

I decided to pull this one out after a long lay off and it sounded as great as ever.

Check out "Stare" at the top and "Don't Believe" below, along with the first tune, "Songbird," off of the new one.












3 comments:

buzzbabyjesus said...

Sounds like they may be worth the effort. Exactly as you describe. When I get the opportunity, I'll probably, er, acquire.

Anonymous said...

Wow, really nice. I just ordered the 'o4 release from Discogs for $2.65 - can't wait to hear it. Thanks for the heads up on this band. Never had heard of 'em. Please post a reminder when the new one drops. Randy

Anonymous said...

Hello all...no, please remain seated,

Man...those were three nice songs. Good call.....

RichD