Monday, May 2, 2016

The Most Fun You Could Have Without The E Street Band




It took over 40 years, but E Street Band bassist Garry Tallent has finally released his first solo record.  I'm not sure anyone was waiting for this record, and even after hearing word that it was coming, I felt no urge to give it a listen. Thankfully, a friend bought me a copy and insisted we give it a go. I have had "Break Time" spinning all weekend.

There is nothing groundbreaking here and that may be its strongest asset. "Break Time" had me from the opener, "Ooh La La," a familiar tune heard many times before and since Chuck Berry's "You Never Can Tell," Yet, with a little help from Nils Lofgren on harmony and some playful lyrics, "Ooh La La" put me in the perfect head for what was to follow.



Tallent lets us in on some of his favorite artists. There are more than a few musical nods to Elvis Presley, Gene Vincent and Buddy Holly, as well as an ongoing Cajun feel throughout. The aforementioned "Ooh La La," 'Bayou Love," "Tell 'Em I'm Broke," and "Ants In Her Pants" all feel like they came right out of the swamps of Louisiana and every one of them is an absolute joy.

Again, this isn't a record from a long time sideman who needed to make his statement. This is a record from a long time sideman who just wanted to make some music. Some really good music. There is nothing wrong with "Break Time." It's a perfect record with an apt title. So, if you happen to be waiting for the ESB tour to pick up again, or if you're not and just feel like some good ol' rock and roll music, please give "Break Time" a listen. There are no surprises here. For that, I am grateful.







6 comments:

buzzbabyjesus said...

The music is fantastic, and with better vocals would sound like prime Little Feat. His voice is okay, but he's not a lead singer.

jeff said...

I've now listened to it twice. It's great.

M_Sharp said...

This sounds like a good one, thanks for the tip!

A walk in the woods said...

I have a Bruce fanatic friend who has been saying how much she loves this record... I'd forgotten to put it on my list until you posted about it here. I agree - love the easy sound... I'll have to pick it up.

Chris Collins said...

I heard the first single on the Underground Garage and was pleasantly surprised. it's a good one

Steven R. Tabarez said...

My favorite record of 2016, bar none! It's really that good!