Monday, April 24, 2017

The Other 100: 91-100



And then there were ten.

I want to thank everyone who participated in this series, especially Shriner, Chris Collins, itsok2bright, DrWu, and of course Michael Giltz for the initial suggestion, even after 90 records, we are still not sure what the hell this is all about.

Before I get to the last ten records, here's a recap.

The point of the "Other 100" was to choose 100 records that I cannot live without, with the key component being that these records do NOT appear on the usual Top 100. "Pet Sounds" will not be on my "Other 100" list. Not because I don't love it. It is on my "first 100." But because it will ALWAYS appear on the usual Top 100. "The Who Sell Out" is one of my three favorite records of all time. It will appear on my first 100 AND on my "Other 100" because it will NOT appear on the usual Top 100. Choices for the "Other 100" might include records that would be in your first 100 because they most likely do NOT appear on the usual 100.

Are we good?

Here we go.








91. The Kinks- Kinda Kinks

It feels like there are too many Kinks records I need that will never appear on the usual top 100. So how do I choose just one? I started rattling off my favorite Kinks songs and four of them appear on "Kinda Kinks." Just for "Nothin' In The World Can Stop Me Worryin' 'Bout That Girl," I need "Kinda Kinks." How can I live without "Something Better Beginning?" I can't. "Everybody's Gonna Be Happy?" Yes, especially when those handclaps start. "Kinda Kinks" is kinda wonderful.







92. Prince- Emancipation

Three CDs, each exactly 60 minutes long, this was Prince breaking free from the turmoil, from limbo, from the musical shackles that were Warner Brothers. Could "Emancipation" have been one masterpiece? Sure! But so what? You get two bonus discs containing two hours worth of music, that for my money, still beats anything he released post-2000. Just for fun, here is the single disc masterpiece, according to me:

Jam Of The Year
Somebody's Somebody
I Can't Make U Love Me
Soul Sanctuary
The Holy River
Saviour
Friend, Lover, Sister, Mother/Wife
The Human Body
Face Down
One Of Us
The Love We Make
Emancipation






93. Judas Priest- British Steel

There hasn't been much heavy metal on my list, even though I love it. Mostly, I just don't listen to it as much as I once did, except for a few records. "British Steel" is one of them. A masterpiece of excitement and musicianship, with hooks and grooves that have no place being on this "type" of record. This is Judas Priest at the peak of their powers. It's relentless and still very radio-friendly. From the opening assault of the original U.K. sequence, "Rapid Fire" into "Metal Gods," right through to the closer, "Steeler" with one of the most bad-ass endings in rock and roll, a pocket so tight and so damn heavy, I lose my breath every time, "British Steel" might just be the metal record for those who think they don't like heavy metal.






94. The Move -Message From The Country

Is "Message From The Country" the last Move record or the first ELO record? I don't care. This 1971 gem shows why both Roy Wood and Jeff Lynne are mad, musical geniuses. I've used the phrase, "nothing sounds like it," when describing many of my favorite records and I think that is key. The Move made four very different records and they were still able to keep those four records from sounding like much else in music, even 50 years later. If the middle records, "Shazam" and "Looking On" were the epics of excess, "Message From The Country" takes the formula of their 60's psych pop debut and updates it for the new decade.














95/96. Paul McCartney- McCartney and Ram

"Ram" has taken on a new life in the last decade, but prior to the hipsters discovering the brilliant DIY sounds of Sir Paul's first two solo records, no one paid any real respect to Macca's solo work until "Band On the Run." We all know "McCartney" and "Ram," so I don't need to expound on these records, other than, I love them dearly.















97/98.  Bruce Springsteen- The River/Tunnel Of Love

I am not completely at ease with including these records. "TOL" has been hailed as a masterpiece by many, and "The River," only recently has gotten more acclaim than it had in the first 35 years it was released. Still, my instincts tell me this: There won't be six Bruce records on a usual Top 100, and neither "The River" nor "TOL" is beating out "Wild, The Innocent," "Born To Run," "Darkness" or "Nebraska" among "professional critics."  Maybe, I'm wrong, but these two records still get major airplay in my house and they need to be here.








99. Todd Rundgren- The Hermit Of Mink Hollow

Is this the unofficial follow-up to "Something/Anything?" Many feel that way, since "the wizard" took some crazy detours after that 1972 pop and soul, tour de force. "Hermit" runs approximately 36 minutes and it is one piece of pop brilliance after another, save the obligatory saboteur, "Onomatopoeia," a brief novelty breather, that Rundgren can never seem to help tossing into a perfectly good mix. Todd covers all his bases here, with the gorgeous, upbeat opener, "All The Children Sing," some of his best rockers, "You Cried Wolf" and "Determination" and two of his most heartbreaking, "Can We Still Be Friends" and "Hurting For You." Plus, the closer, "Fade Away" is as beautiful as it gets.








100. Yes- Close To the Edge

What happened after 1973 is anybody's guess? New drummer. New keyboardist. Bad grammar. I don't know. But the first five Yes records are essential, culminating with 1973's "Close To The Edge." I never quite understood the backlash against sidelong songs. Aren't they six different ideas anyway? Don't the songs have 6 subtitles? Aren't the bands on the vinyl shaded from light to dark to show where each of the ideas change? Anyway, "Close To The Edge" has three songs, and each exhibits why all 5 band members deserve respect.  The opening riff of "Siberian Khatru" alone is worth everyone's time.


And dat's dat!

THE OTHER 100
1. Pete Townshend & Ronnie Lane- Rough Mix
2. Willie Nelson- Teatro
3. Black Sabbath- Heaven & Hell
4. Marshall Crenshaw- Life's Too Short
5. The Darkness- Hot Cakes
6. The Meters- Rejuvenation
7. Chicago II
8. Jr. Walker & the All-Stars- Home Cookin'
9. The Bees- Free The Bees
10. Savoy Brown- Getting To The Point
11. Roxy Music- Siren
12. Bobby "Blue"Bland- Two Steps From The Blues
13. Rolling Stones- Through The Past Darkly (U.K. MONO vinyl)
14. Daryl Hall- Sacred Songs
15. Electric Light Orchestra- Zoom
16. Jethro Tull- This Was
17. Prince- Dirty Mind
18. The Hot Rats
19. Ultravox- Ultravox
20. The Merry Go Round- You're A Very Lovely Woman/Live
21. Fleetwood Mac- Then Play On
22. New Radicals- Maybe You've Been Brainwashed, Too
23. Steve Earle- The Low Highway
24. Genesis- A Trick Of The Tail
25. Paul McCartney- Chaos & Creation In The Backyard
26. Robert Palmer- Sneakin' Sally Thru The Alley
27. Iggy Pop- The Idiot
28. James Booker- Live At Montreux
29. Queen- A Day At The Races
30. Todd Rundgren- Liars
31. The Cahmbers Brothers- The Time Has Come
32. Jerry Lee Lewis & The Nashville Teens- Live At The Star Club
33. Emitt Rhodes- the American Dream
34. Hall & Oates- Abandoned Luncheonette
35. Finn Brothers- Everyone Is Here
36. David Bowie- Heathen
37. NRBQ-At Yankee Stadium
38. King Crimson- Red
39. The Left Banke- Walk Away Renee/Pretty Ballerina
40. Led Zeppelin- Presence
41. Tom Waits & Crystal Gayle- One From The Heart
42. John Cale- Paris 1919
43. Little Feat- Sailin' Shoes
44. 10cc- The Original Soundtrack
45. The Hollies- Butterfly
46. Stanton Moore- III
47. The Beatles- A Hard Day's Night
48. Motorhead- Ace Of Spades
49. XTC- Nonsuch
50. Bruce Springsteen- Magic
51. Elvis Costello- King Of America
52. Elvis Costello- Blood & Chocolate
53. Rolling Stones- Now
54. Rolling Stones- Black & Blue
55. Brian Eno- Here Come The Warm Jets
56. Brian Eno- Another Green World
57. Syd Barrett- The Madcap Laughs
58. Syd Barrett- Barrett
59. The Who Sell Out
60. The Who By Numbers
61. Fairport Convention- Unhalfbricking
62. Al Green- I'm Still In Love With You
63. World Party- Goodbye Jumbo
64. CC Adcock & Lafayette Marquis
65. Bad Brains- I Against I
66. Bob Dylan- Shot Of Love
67. Faces- Ooh La La
68. Jon Cleary & The Absolute Monster Gentlemen
69. Aerosmith- Rocks
70. T. Rex- The Slider
71. The Move- Shazam
72. Cheap Trick-Cheap trick (1977)
73. Sam Cooke- Night Beat
74. Beastie Boys- Paul's Boutique
75. Sparks- Kimono My House
76. Wilco- Summerteeth
77. Traffic- Mr. Fantasy
78. Jules Shear- The Great Puzzle
79. The Bobby Fuller Four- I Fought The Law
80. The Black Crowes- the Southern Harmony & Musical Companion
81. Thin Lizzy- Jailbreak
82. The Rascals- Time/Peace
83. The Drifters Golden Hits
84. Queen II
85. Elton John Tumbleweed Connection
86. Todd Rundgren- Faithful
87. The Turtles- the Battle Of The Bands
88. David Bowie- Station To Station
89. The Mavericks- Trampoline
90. XTC- Wasp Star
91. The Kinks- Kinda Kinks
92. Prince- Emancipation
93. Judas Priest- British Steel
94. The Move- Message From the Country
95. Paul McCartney- McCartney
96. Paul McCartney- Ram
97. Bruce Springsteen- The River
98. Bruce Springsteen- Tunnel Of Love
99. Todd Rundgren- The Hermit Of Mink Hollow
100. Yes- Close To The Edge






86-90

81-85

76-80

71-75

66-70

61-65

51-60

46-50

41-45

36-40

31-35

26-30

21-25

16-20

11-15

6-10

1-5

28 comments:

buzzbabyjesus said...

If these 100 were all the records one owned it would be a fine collection.

itsok2beright said...

Thanks to you for getting us to scan our lists of albums to remind us what we haven't listened to lately. The more this went on, it probably seemed like a burden, but you and your readers brought up some great gems. I also like that the list is 'albums'. When the music industry got past the idea of living off of singles, and creating one hit wonders, the musicians were able to experiment and create artistic compilations representing their contemporary directions. They didn't seem to feel the burden of having to create an A-Side that's going to get radio time.

Your last 10 seemed to be a little rockier (?) than previous editions, which you know I prefer. I actually heard of most of those artists!

Considering I missed the 86-90 posting, (I hate when work gets in the way of life), I'm posting my last 15. Maybe a Top 100 along the way, but time is running out to check the current Rolling Stone Top 100 list.

Ramones, Rocket To Russia
Rare Earth, Get Ready
Rick Derringer, Rock and Roll Hoochie Koo: The Best of
Robert Plant (Solo), Manic Nirvana
Robin Trower, Bridge of Sighs

Ronnie Montrose, The Speed of Sound
Rory Gallagher, Blue Day for the Blues
Roxy Music, Siren
Rush, A Farewell to Kings
Rush, Hemispheres

Santana, Dance of the Rainbow Serpent
Sly & The Family Stone, Anthology
Soundgarden, Badmotorfinger
Tool, Aenima
Tool, 10,000 Days

Shoot, I ran out of alphabet before I ran out of albums to take with me. Oh well, I really need two Tool albums.

Shriner said...

What? You threw the last 10 in one post? I guess I need to follow along. Luckily, I had already figured this out after posting the last set.

91) The Book of Mormon -- Original Cast Recording. Probably one of the newest releases on this list. I've already detailed my love for Rock Musicals in previous postings. And comedy music. While this doesn't rock, it's very catchy, sing-along, and holds up to repeated listenings. HELLO!

92) Berlin -- Pleasure Victim. The only EP on my list. And it's my favorite pop-synth album of all time. Has a soft spot in my heart as the band I was in covered "Masquerade", but it's also got "The Metro" and "Sex (I'm a...)" on it. Lots of fun.

93) Dukes of Stratosphere -- Chips From the Chocolate Fireball. This is a cheat in that it's really a 2-fer of the EP and the actual album. But this way you get both! XTC in their fake-60's-band disguise. It's brilliant. One of my top-tier XTC albums.

94) Juliana Hatfield Three -- Become What You Are. I am an unabashed JH fan. I think she's only released one dud solo album (the "Juliana's Pony" album). Her albums range from: good to fantastic. I almost picked something more recent that I love (In Excel Deo), but I went back to this album with the monster-smash "My Sister" on it because I can't do without it. Her waifish voice turns some people off, I know, but her songwriting -- and her unique chording -- is stellar.

95) Van Halen -- Van Halen. Sure, it's probably on a number of "Top 100" albums. If it's not, it goes with me.

My last five follows in the next post in case I ramble too long...

daudder said...

a really great list, and can't argue with any one of the selections. added a few to my collection. thanks for the insights and the effort!

Shriner said...

Because our host chose some Greatest Hits albums toward the end, I feel that my last 5 are comfortably not losing anything here by doing so...

96) Ramones -- Ramones Mania. I love the Ramones. I could not pick *one* album (if I did, then *maybe* it would be the underrated "Subterranean Jungle" -- maybe.) But this compilation? It has all the hits and lets me take "Sedated", "Rock & Roll High School" *and* "Bonzo Goes To Bitburg" on one CD. Who could ask for more?

97) The Offspring -- Greatest Hits. (I mentioned this in passing before...) To me, The Offspring is the definition of "a great singles band". No, make that a *monster* singles band. Their albums are OK, though I stopped getting them and have no clue what the band is currently doing -- if anything. This compilation of their singles, though? It's funny and it rocks and is immensely catchy from start to finish. All killer, no filler.

98) The Smithereens -- Blown To Smithereens. The *other* great singles band. Sure, the debut is very, very good. So are some of the other albums. But -- to me -- there's a sameness among them. Minor chords. Key of E, etc... This compilation -- has just about everything I'd need from the band (really).

99) Moody Blues -- This Is The Moody Blues. What makes this compilation (among all the other MB compilations) the one that comes along? The *sequencing*. Sure, it ends with Nights In White Satin -- but it picks the greatest songs from all the other albums up to that point and mixes them all up -- and many of them blend into the next track. It's a unique presentation that flows better than I could ever possibly come up with something myself. This was the first Moody Blues album I ever bought (back on vinyl knowing lots of songs from classic rock radio at the time) -- and then I bought all the other albums that these songs came from. Individual albums vary as wholes, but when I want *any* MB, I put this on and 90 minutes later -- I'm happy as a pig in shit. It's like a warm blanket that I can get lost in. I love this compilation.

100) The Raspberries -- Capitol Collectors Series. I found a spot for the Raspberries! Finally! This was like the first actual real CD release of Raspberries music (well before the reissues.) OMG -- the songs on this disc. When I bought it, I knew the hit songs from 70s radio and loved them: Go All The Way, Tonight, Overnight Sensation, Ecstasy -- but I had no idea (at the time) how great any of the rest of this bands material was. And the best part is this CD is (basically) 1/2 of their entire output. When the remasters came out, I made a custom CD of all the songs *not* on this -- and that was almost as good. There -- I avoided having to pick one of the official releases and the Raspberries make the list!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the Priest. I messed around with a metal set, but kept finding other albums to choose over Montrose, UFO, Def Leppard, and other faves that missed the cut. Last weekend I heard Golden Earring's "Twilight Zone" come on the radio and it took me back to that time when you could hear any bar band play Hair of the Dog, You Got Another Thing Coming and Balls to the Wall.

I appreciate learning the non-traditional 100 choices for your favorite artists. "Emancipation" is a big favorite of mine, but my ranking of Prince albums changes frequently and I ended up abstaining from making a choice.

Last five are EP's that I would have to have on the desert island.

Raspberries - Fresh
Babe Ruth - First Base
Wishbone Ash - Front Page News
Ace - Time for Another
David Werner - s/t
Died Pretty - Next to Nothing
Trail of Dead - Secret of Elena's Tomb
Gray Matter - Take It Back
John Doe Thing - For the Rest of Us (Kill Rock Stars release that was expanded by YepRoc into For the Best of Us)
My Bloody Valentine - You Made Me Realize

Chris Collins said...

Amazing list. And this has been the most fun topic ever.

"Tunnel Of Love" is my favorite record of all time. Full stop. ("Wild, Innocent and E Street Shuffle" is number 2.) And I love "The River" like I love members of my own family. So of course I endorse those.

I think about "Emancipation" all the time. I love that record. I love all 3 records. And your one-disc masterpiece is probably dead on.

I'm just gonna take today to appreciate your work here. Thanks for this

Shriner said...

So and begging the pardon of our host for a small essay after this 100 CD exercise:

So my "other 100" does not include what probably might *really* be in my "other top 100" -- but stuff that still wouldn't be on anybody else's top 100 (probably), so it's possible my list of "other 100" would really be my *3rd* set of 100 (if that makes sense). Because I didn't list the vast majority these (unusual) suspects:

Get The Knack (actually every album by the Knack): 6 CDs
The first two Rhino "Nuggets" box sets (two albums, or 8 CDs depending on how you count this)
Alice Cooper all the way from Love It To Death through Dada (13 albums)
The entire XTC discography -- except Go2 (10 albums)
The entire 25-CD set of Rhino's "Have A Nice Day" series
The entire 19-CD set of Rhino's "Didn't It Blow Your Mind" series
Almost all of the Monkees output (including the 3 "Missing Links" compilations) -- another 10+ CDs
The three Rhino "Poptopia" CDs
Jefferson Starship from "Dragon Fly" through "Nuclear Furniture"
KISS from the debut all the way through Unmasked (plus Revenge and Psycho Circus and Gene's solo album)
Greatest Hits albums by: Abba, Lovin Spoonful, The Jam (to get the "Bitterest Pill" single), 10cc, The Spinners, The Carpenters and Three Dog Night


And that takes me to another 100 albums (actually more than 100) -- all of which I would be hard-pressed to do without. All of which I may love more than the 100 I listed (which I *do* love -- don't get me wrong). But that short list right up there? I have played hundreds of times. Some of them I have memorized. They (along with the Beatles) make up my musical DNA. I am a musical child of 70's a.m. radio (from the schlock to the classics) and am proud of it.

But that would have made a pretty dull list. Maybe a more honest list? But dull.

So my "Other 100" is really a list of throwing out (almost) everything above and taking a fresh look at what else has impacted me over the years. I still listed a lot of stuff from the 70s -- and specific albums from some of the above -- , but as the list compilation went along, I figured out what altered my DNA as I aged. The list of 100 I did post -- I would probably take *over* the usual suspects if it came down to it (Farewell, Ziggy! Goodbye Fab Four! See you later Glimmer Twins! -- But you'd pry that first Big Star album out of my cold-dead-hands!)

My posted other 100? Much discovery came from my college years (exposure to the tastes of other music.) And MTV (really!) And John Borack's Power Pop 200 list. Pitchfork. Spin. And this blog (and others). Would "White Pepper" have been on my list otherwise? Not without Sal putting "Even If You Don't" on a comp.

This was fun. We should do it again sometime. No duplicates allowed! ;-)

Sal Nunziato said...

"The entire XTC discography -- except Go2 (10 albums"

I find this hilarious! I feel exactly the same way. What the hell happened with that album?

heartsofstone said...

Thanks for this awesome project.

Dave said...

Bravo, Sal. Thanks to you and all the commenters for making this so much fun.

Dave F.

Michael Giltz said...

Wait...what??!! It's over? The last ten in one fell swoop? Bastard!

91-95

When Sal originally mentioned his Other 100 project, I was thinking of really oddball stuff that almost no one would include on ANY Best Albums Of All Time list. Stuff like this….

Dean Martin – Country Style/Dean “Tex” Martin Rides Again Sal’s compatriot at NYCD Tony turned me onto this. A CD two-fer featuring Dean Martin’s foray into country music? WTF? And holyn heck, it’s really good. Martin was a lazy bastard but when we got lucky he was in the right mood and paired with the right music and bothering just enough to deliver the goods. These two albums have GREAT versions of country classics by the likes of Hank Williams. Made me realize how talented Martin truly was and how you just never know until you actually listen.

John Williams – Star Wars Original Motion Picture Soundtrack Oh sure, anyone making a list of the best film scores or best movie music albums would include this. But I doubt any Rolling Stone list would bother with it. Yet it might be the first album I was ever given. Two cassettes and I played it on a portable tape recorder (not really a tape player though it had one speaker built in) and just loved it. Turned me onto movie music for good.

Michael Giltz said...

91-95 con't

VA – Stay Awake – Various Interpretations of Music From Vintage Disney Films The best tribute album of all time? Maybe! It’s certainly a peak for the particular creative genius of Hal Willner, who paired artists with classic and obscure Disney songs to perfect effect. Plus it got me hooked on the word jazz of Ken Nordine but good! And “I Wan’na Be Like You” from Disney’s 1967 animated film The Jungle Book (played on the album by Los Lobos) is my go-to karaoke/party number.

King Creosote and Jon Hopkins – Diamond Mines I still haven’t figured out who King Creosote is but he keeps collaborating with different artists on weird and wonderful albums. Here’s a concept album, with a radio play’s attention to sound, spoken word passages, great and melancholy songs and an overall feel that is wonderful and quiet and just lovely. Utterly original.

Glenn Gould – Solitude Trilogy Why of course from one of the great classical pianists I’d include a boxed of three radio shows he created. They’re spoken word essays on topics like The Idea Of North that combine interviews and sounds and Gould’s ruminations to wonderful effect. Like the other four albums in this batch, it’s a pretty bonkers little number and let’s you feel special just for knowing it exists.

Michael Giltz said...

96-100 con't

Willie Nelson and Wynton Marsalis – Two Men With The Blues Both Nelson and Marsalis have catalogs even more sprawling than Dinah Washington. I’m pretty sure this live collaboration from Lincoln Center will get lost in the shuffle.. Even they have probably forgotten about it already. They performed together, chose a batch of songs that made this an unofficial tribute album to Louis Armstrong, worked on some arrangements, had a blast and moved on. Luckily they recorded it. Nelson is woken up by the big band’s muscle and Marsalis is loosened up by Willie’s improvisational vibe and the result is stellar music.

Elizabeth Cotten – Live! Presumably only known by hardcore fans of the blues, Elizabeth Cotten is an eccentric talent from North Carolina who played the guitar left-handed in her own weird way dubbed “Cotten picking.” (Well, why not?) She’s got albums on Smithsonian/Folkways and once you start playing her you can’t stop because you damn sure can’t go anywhere else to hear anything like it. I love this live album because she’s such a hoot. Cotten apparently was an aggressive believer in audience participation, to the point where Pete Seeger would seem a wallflower in comparison. In song after song, she gives the crowd explicit instructions on what to sing where and when and it’s so clear she would never imagine anyone NOT wanting to sing along that her enthusiasm is infectious. I can’t listen without getting a smile on my face. And singing along.

And these were on standby waiting to be included in one batch or another:

The Magnetic Fields – 69 Love Songs
Paul Buchanan – Mid Air
Hanna McEuen – Hanna McEuen
Talk Talk – The Color Of Spring
Billy Joel Turnstiles
Chris Isaak -- Silvertone
Neil Young – On The beach
Rufus Wainwright – Want One
VA _ The Singing Detective
VA – Songs That Got Us Through WW II
The Waterboys – Fisherman Box ...

Michael Giltz said...

Needless to say, my list of albums others listed that I heartily second is long but happily not as long as the many albums I need to check out or revisit. Thanks everyone for all the great, passionate comments. Viva le album!

Joe said...

Thanks Sal, I really enjoyed this and found some new music too!! joe

Jon said...

Kudos to this whole project - what a treat. Gonna stream the whole thing.

jeff said...

finally had time to get to this list in a serious way. my first thought is what an amazing list it is. it's so easy to go the best route, but this blue highway is a much more challenging and thoughtful way to go and you navigated it perfectly. my second thought is up yours for making me having to go out and buy a whole bunch of new albums.

I'm curious about the omission of one record: darin/mercer's Two of a Kind

JAYESSEMM said...

What fun -- thank you so much Sal.

Now ... I have work to do!

cmealha said...

Now I have to go back and listen to 'Emancipation' for the second time since it first came out.

kodak ghost said...

This has been some ride. Revisiting old stuff already in the collection and finding new gems. Some challenges along the way, but a great project. Many thanks for sharing it all... and the thinking that went into it. The comments section has always been entertaining too (especially this one, so well done everybody!

neal t said...

You will be rewarded with Emancipation second only to Sandinista in the triple album department IMO.
All 3 covers are right up there with any cover by top shelf performer who's main body of work is self penned.

Michael Giltz said...

Jeff, I love your dubbing it the blue highway route!

Dr Wu said...

Thank you so much for this! Reflecting on what I've been listening to during my life coupled with peaked curiosity for so many more albums mentioned here by everyone: time well spent and immensely entertaining.
On vacation and with only my iPhone, I must keep it brief. Here are my final offerings:

Stars 'Set Yourself on Fire'
The Horrors 'Skying'
Count Basie and His Orchestra 'April in Paris'
Pinback 'Autumn of the Seraphs'
Counting Crows 'August and Everything After'
Emmylou Harris 'Luxury Liner'
Broken Social Scene 'You Forgot It in People'
Ray LaMontagne and the Pariah Dogs ' God Willin' & the Creek Don't Rise'
Atlas Sound 'Parallax'
Joe Henry 'Blood from Stars'
Kyuss 'Blues for the Red Sky'
American Music Club 'Everclear'
AC/DC 'Powerage'
The Sea and Cake 'The Fawn'
Sugar 'Copper Blue'
Annie 'Anniemal'
Spoon 'Girls Can Tell'
Dire Straits 'Love Over Gold'
Aberfeldy 'Young Forever'
Foxygen 'We Are the 21st Century Ambassadors of Peace & Magic
My Morning Jacket 'Z'
The House of Love 'S/T' (The Butterfly album)

Thank you again! Namaste and Cheers!






Rodger Stroup said...

I appreciate all the effort put into this by Sal and all of you who contributed your 100. Lists like this, along with the associated comments for each entry, are great reading.
I've been inspired to purchase quite a bit of the music listed. So far, no disappointments.
Sal, thanks for making this an oasis for those of us who love music.

heartsofstone said...

Thanks for all of your hard work ad insights. Your lists have provided me with many roads to follow.

Michael Giltz said...

I've got more work to do! The kind I love :) The Move, in particular. I was just wondering what to tackle on ELO since I've never given them a fair shot. Maybe I should start with The Move? I know you're right about Springsteen -- as an amateur professional critic, "Nebraska" and "Wild Innocent" and "Darkness" and "Born To Run" (and perhaps Seeger Sessions, heaven forfend and "Wrecking Ball!") will indeed have pride of place ahead of "River" and "Tunnel of Love" for me. Guilty! On the bright side, I've grown to admire the songs of Tunnel completely and The River as an album much more in recent years. I was too dumb to realize people hadn't been loving Ram and Mccartney all along -- heck, didn't/doesn't everyone love them? And thanks for clueing me into Rundgren before streaming made a deep dive so simple. What a great artist.

Michael Giltz said...

Oh and I'll have to tackle your Emancipation 2.0 soon, not to mention the triple disc epic itself. I hope Prince's post-label promiscuity will reveal its riches in the years to come in ways I haven't been able to appreciate yet. If your blog taught me anything, ti was giving artists a second third and fourth chance.