Friday, December 29, 2017

Weekend Mix/Endless Party



I started by running a search for "Party" in a terabyte and a half of hard drive.
I figured there's be a few hundred songs I'd have to whittle down.
"OK", I thought, "let's see where this goes".
To my surprise, there were only about a dozen more that aren't here. Plenty of album titles like "Cajan Dance Party".
I decided not to look through records or cd's for songs like "Party Out Of Bounds", but to limit it the hard drive.
In sequencing the final selections, a narrative presented itself in that the material fell into four categories.
From We're Gonna Have A Party! to We're Having A Party! to It's My Party And I'll Cry If I Want To, and finally, The Party's Over.
Pretty soon I had a concept album. Being that this mix goes on 80 minutes before you want people to leave. Maybe that's just after midnight.

I'll take that the initial search randomly turned up so many favorite artists, from St Vincent to Captain Beefheart, Johnny Thunders, Bryan Ferry, Allen Toussaint, Mark Ribot, The Heptones, The Wild Magnolias, Willie Nelson, Snakefinger, and Jonathan Richman, as a good omen for 2018.

Sidebar note: B.L.O. was a power trio from Nigeria. "Beware-We Gonna Have A Party" (1973), likely also means "Opposition Party".


Endless Party

Happy New Year!
-BBJ

4 comments:

A walk in the woods said...

Wow... this looks amazing! Great concept - looking forward to hearing the mix. Thanks BBJ!

mauijim said...

Thanks BBJ . Will be listening when laughing at all the youngns making fools of themselves Sunday night.
MJ

dogbreath said...

Nice effort, even if (or perhaps, because) the majority of tunes are unknown to me. Made my day as I re-discovered Bryan Ferry's version of "It's My Party". Thanks for putting it together.

buzzbabyjesus said...

Part of the "concept" is that this mix goes on after you've played all the records you always play and just want to throw something on about 80 minutes before you want everyone to go home.