Sunday, May 6, 2018

Songs Of The Week, 2018: 4/28-5/4



Black Minute Waltz- James Booker
Superior- Tim Christensen
Everlasting Love- Leigh "Little Queenie" Harris
Am I Wasting My Time?- Georgie Fame
There She Is- Lovin' Spoonful
All Up In The Aisles- John Ellis & Double-Wide
It Ain't My Fault- Smokey Johnson



Black Minute Waltz-James Booker
I found a James Booker candle while in New Orleans. (Where else am I going to find a James Booker candle?) Thought about this song in particular as a great reason to have your own candle.



Superior-Tim Christensen
While taking a breather on the New Orleans Fairgrounds, I checked e-mail and saw that this holy grail of vinyl had been rereleased as an RSD piece in Christensen's home country of Denmark. I bought it right and then and there from my phone and was singing the title track most of the day.



Everlasting Love- Leigh Harris
Leigh "L'il Queenie" Harris is a New Orleans legend. I hadn't seen her in years, only to find out she is terminally ill and living her last days in Texas. It made me think of this great cover.



Am I Wasting My Time- Georgie Fame
iPod shuffle




There She Is- Lovin' Spoonful
iPod shuffle


All Up In The Aisles- John Ellis & Double Trouble
I used to love seeing Jason Marsalis play drums when I went to New Orleans, but he has mostly been playing the vibes lately. I was reminded of this fun track with a great Jason solo.


 
It Ain't My Fault- Smokey Johnson
On Saturday at the Fairgrounds, there was a tribute to Fats Domino, with Bonnie Raitt, Irma Thomas, Jon Batiste and a killer house band featuring many original members of Dave Bartholomew's orchestra. The band played this groove as a transition from artist to artist. I could listen to an endless loop of that drum beat.

zip

6 comments:

JAYESSEMM said...

Hey Sal,

We might have the old zip link.

I read with interest your descriptions then am listening to My baby's Taking Me Home :-)

Sal Nunziato said...

Sorry about that, chief.

All fixed.

JAYESSEMM said...

Okay -- NOW I want to go to The Big Easy!

dogbreath said...

Quite a mixed mix for my ears to chew on (not aurally or dentally correct, I know) with its jazzy, bluesy tunes. After two days without any precipitation or fog, our local radio station said what was needed with the sunshine was some funk & proceeded to play a Parliament track in amongst the usual anodyne airplay songs. So this zip fits in nicely. Many thanks!

A walk in the woods said...

Love the references to the Fats Domino tribute - wish I coulda heard that there!

cmealha said...

I've always hear Georgie Fame mentioned but have never heard a single thing by him. I've always perceived him as a very minor bit player but I love this cut.
James Booker delivers another gem.
And Mr. Christensen is always a welcome guest to any playlist.