Friday, June 1, 2018

Weekend Mix/Stephen Malkmus & The Jicks


"This Malkmus idiot is a complete songwriting genius" said Gary Young, original Pavement drummer, and owner of Louder Than You Think, the Stockton California recording studio they first recorded, upon hearing their early material. 
I kept thinking about that quote while pulling the Weekend Mix together.

I could have sworn someone suggested a "Malkmus/Jicks" comp after Pavement a few weeks ago, but I couldn't find it.

I recently acquired their latest, "Sparkle Hard", and thought it sounded pretty good, which I've thought every time after playing a new SM/Jicks album. I realized I had five out of seven of them, and thought now was a good time to really dive in.

His songs are full of surprises. The twists and turns offer hooks not anticipated, and the band is right there with him.

I complained Pavement didn't live up my expectations after the potential hinted at on "Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain", but it turns out he's done that in such an off-hand way I didn't notice.


If you only know Pavement, give this a chance, you'll be surprised.
I'd like to say more, but I've run out of time.

Nature's Kids

Nature's Kid's, too




Enjoy!

-BBJ







4 comments:

JAYESSEMM said...

Another artist I "kinda know" but not really.

This spring you reminded me with Pavement now today Stephen takes centre stage. My education continues!

Thanks Buzz Baby

A walk in the woods said...

Ah yes - I've needed an intro to this band that I've only heard of but don't know - especially since I keep reading interviews of Stephen Malkmus lately. I kind of missed this band, and even Pavement, really. Thanks a lot BBJ!

George Kramer said...

Thanks BBJ

heartsofstone said...

Thanks so much. Your comment that if you only know Stephen from Pavement ... is spot on.