Tuesday, September 11, 2018

Admittedly Self-Indulgent Non-Weekend Mix



There is great inspiration for this collection of songs I offer up today, as well as one hell of a back story that I will never be drunk enough to share. I don't think details will make the music any better. I am quite happy with how this "sounds good altogether," and for my personal needs, it does its job.

I will say this. The title of the mix is "As Falls Tinton, So Falls Tinton Falls," which some of you might recognize as a play on the Pat Metheny/Lyle Mays record, "As Falls Wichita, So Falls Wichita Falls." I was introduced to that record in the early 80's, under some truly bizarre circumstances. I am not a fan of Pat Metheny at all, but that record will forever be a creepy footnote in my life and a part of the story that even if I was drunk enough to share, no one would believe anyway.

As for the music here, not everything serves a personal purpose. There are a few songs that just seemed perfect for a transition to the next. As I said, this is strictly for me, but I know there are some of you out there who enjoy a good mix, and I loved putting this one together.

"As Falls Tinton, So Falls Tinton Falls"

In The Morning- Squeeze
Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey- Paul McCartney
Don't Take Me Alive- Steely Dan
Dogfight Giggle- Todd Rundgren
This Boy- The Beatles
Love Goddess Of Venus- The Ventures
In The Flesh- Blondie
Learnin' The Blues- Frank Sinatra
But It's Alright- J.J. Jackson
Long, Long While- Rolling Stones
Stolen Car- Bruce Springsteen
Terrapin- Syd Barrett
You're A Big Girl- Bob Dylan
Both Belong- The Grays
Little Willow- Paul McCartney
I Am A Rock- Simon & Garfunkel
Down- Nilsson
Truth- Neil Finn
The Best Thing That Ever Happened- Gladys Knight & The Pips
Just Once In My Life- The Beach Boys 

zip

8 comments:

Dr Wu said...

Looks fun! Thanks for sharing, Sal

Anonymous said...

Dogfight Giggle?

Must be one hell of a backstory you're not telling us.

Randy

dogbreath said...

Thanks for the surprise zip job. Strangely enough I was playing some Macca and Syd Barrett stuff last night (and some of it was strange enough). Anyway, with mixes as tasty as this one, you can be self-indulgent any time you like. Cheers!

Anonymous said...

This seems very personal, and while I am enjoying, and probably crying, because I'm crying over everything today it seems, I will respect that. Thank you always for the music, the laughter, and the stories!

A walk in the woods said...

This looks good! Thank you!

Anonymous said...

Interesting recent article on Larry Carlton's guitar contributions to Don't Take Me Alive and other Dan records
https://musicaficionado.blog/2018/08/29/larry-carltons-sessions-with-steely-dan-and-joni-mitchell/

bing stills said...

Looking forward to listening to this mix, thanks! I've seen Pat Metheny live twice and he is amazing. If you ever want to give him another shot, try the album Pat Metheny Group, especially the tracks "San Lorenzo' and "Phase Dance" . Tasty stuff and worth the time IMO. Keep rockin' Sal!

FD13NYC said...

Nice mix as always!