Sunday, October 21, 2018

Songs Of The Week, 2018: 10/13-10/19



Down, Down, Down- Sting
Lady Be Good- Forgotten Rebels Brass Band
Too Much On My Mind- The Kinks
Harlem Nocturne- Earl Bostic
That Look You Give That Guy- Eels
God's Sure Good- Dr. John
All Time Low (Todd Rundgren Remix)- Nine Inch Nails

zip

Down, Down, Down- Sting
Sure, there are myriad reasons to not like Sting, but making good records more than half the time shouldn't be one of the them. This is from his last, "57th & 9th," a return to pop music and a record I hadn't listened to since its release. It really holds up and this track is a fave.

Lady Be Good- Forgotten Souls Brass Band
An old employee once commented, "How could you listen to New Orleans brass bands? It's like the soundtrack to a halftime show." He was fired minutes later. No halftime band has a groove and a pocket as deep as the one created by drummer Stanton Moore on this track.

Too Much On My Mind- The Kinks
There is always too much on my mind, which makes this Ray Davies gem a personal Kinks favorite, and a song I think of often. "There's more to life than just to live it." Brilliant.

Harlem Nocturne- Earl Bostic
Thought about this song soon after I posted that version of Tomorrow Never Knows by Bob Belden with Dianne Reeves. Belden was a genius, a customer and a friend. I had been thinking of a song for hours one morning when he walked in the shop. I simply said, "Bob, there's a song I'm thinking of. Can't recall the melody or the artist, it's driving me nuts. All I can remember is that is switches from a moody minor to an upbeat major." I don't even know if what I said was technically true, but he responded immediately, "Harlem Nocturne." That is how much music was in Belden's head at all times. Great memory for me.

That Look You Give That Guy- Eels
I don't love everything by Eels. But he is responsible for at least one brilliant song per album. This is the one from "Hombre Lobo." Kills me everytime.

God's Sure Good- Dr. John
Found a ticket stub in a pile of papers from Dr. John's concert at the Brooklyn Academy Of Music, when he toured the "Locked Down' record, the one produced so perfectly by Dan Auerbach of The Black Keys. So, I played the record.

All Time Low (Todd Rundgren Remix)- Nine Inch Nails
Caught NIN at the Kings Theatre last Wednesday. Holy Moly, Batman! Absolutely intense. I've loved Trent Reznor since his NIN debut, "Pretty Hate Machine." There's so much going on underneath all of that blessed noise. Not all of it works, but what does, like the debut, most of "The Downward Spiral," a lot of "The Slip," most of "Hesitation Marks," from which the original version of this track comes, and all of his masterpiece "With Teeth," has been some of my favorite music of the last 25 years.

4 comments:

Squints said...

Was out for dinner with the lovely Mrs Peffercorn Friday light and the mix played Bonerama's cover of Led Zep's "The Ocean." Very unkyfay. I enjoyed it greatly.

Dr Wu said...

Thanks for this, Sal! Some I know: love both that Eels tune and the NiN’s ‘Hesitation Marks’ album - the light show alone on that tour was worth the price of admission. Looking forward to the others.
Saw you’d been listening to the updated/revised ‘Never Let Me Down’ - worth investigating? I did give ‘Tonight’ another chance the day. Other than ‘Blue Jean’ and ‘Loving the Alien’, found it too painful for words. Thanks again for all you do.

Sal Nunziato said...

Dr. Wu,
Full write up on Bowie and others tomorrow.

dogbreath said...

Belated thanks for the SOTW zipper. The Kinks' track has been round here before, methinks, but such a great song is always welcome. Got twerky to NIN when I heard their Bowie collaboration stuff, otherwise don't know much of them. Cheers for another fine post!