Sunday, January 20, 2019

Songs Of The Week, 2019: 1/12-1/18




He Don't Love You- Levon & The Hawks
Soul Kitchen- The Doors
Hush- Deep Purple
The River- Octopus
Charlotte Rose- The Majority
You're Gonna Need My Help- Fairport Convention
The Night Before- The Beatles

zip

He Don't Love You- Levon & The Hawks
The pocket and groove Levon Helm creates in just about every song, never ceases to amaze me. I thought I'd treat myself to an original copy of this 45 on Atco, until I saw the cheapest available was $200! I'll stick with iTunes for now.

Soul Kitchen- X
The first two X records are punk classics, I know. But I only ever liked them. I never loved them....until last week, when suddenly both felt like exactly what I wanted to hear. I love when that happens. And I love this cover of The Doors track.

Hush- Deep Purple
On the short list of covers that are better than the original.

The River- Octopus
In my quest to find whole albums by some of my favorites on the "Come Join My Orchestra" box I wrote about a few days ago, I stumbled on this band, who, of course, are NOT on that box. I knew nothing about them but liked the one track I sampled on YouTube, which is here. Originals of the "Restless Night" LP run between $500-$800, but you can buy a very nice Spanish repress on the Guerssen label for reasonable price, or CDs for an even reasonable-er price. I really like the whole record, which feels like a twisted version of Badfinger with balls.

Charlotte Rose- The Majority
And speaking again of "Come Join My Orchestra," here's another from that set.

You're Gonna Need Some Help- Fairport Convention
I feel like there are not enough readers who love Fairport the way both BBJ and I do. Anyhow, I highly recommend all their records with Sandy Denny & Richard Thompson. This is a BBC bonus from "What We Did On Our Holidays" with RT on rare slide.

The Night Before- The Beatles
From "Help," the only Beatles album I prefer in stereo.

3 comments:

JAYESSEMM said...

Excellent -- Thanks Sal.

Speaking of The Beatles ... In the coffee shop this morning the two twenty something boys behind the counter were playing The White Album. Made me feel old, made me feel young, made me feel happy!

Anonymous said...

There was an apparent mistype in your notes there, because you certainly meant to write that the first FOUR X albums are punk classics. Heck, they're just plain classics, punk or not. Glad I caught the typo, yes? :)
C in California

dogbreath said...

Thanks for doing the zip it up thing again. As my ignorance knows no bounds, half the artists (well, three rather than three and a half) are brand new to me so gives me something to explore aurally. Cheers!