Sunday, January 13, 2019

Songs Of The Week, 2019: 1/5-1/11




Get Into Something- The Isley Brothers
Heaven & Hell- The Easybeats
Determination- Todd Rundgren
Days- The Kinks
Old Castles- Paul Weller
Sunshine Girl- The Parade
Forget About You

zip

Get Into Something- The Isley Brothers
This was my SOTD on Saturday, 1/5. My John Sally Ride bandmate and pal, Sal Maida opened up his Spin Cycle radio show with it the next morning. Great minds think alike, and so did we.

Heaven & Hell- The Easybeats
And speaking of both Sal Maida and the JSR, this track came up a number of times during rehearsals and recording of our newest record. Maida thinks it is The Easybeats masterpiece and I agree. Amazing record-making.

Determination- Todd Rundgren
Felt like hearing this one, from the always accessible "The Hermit Of Mink Hollow."

Days- The Kinks
And speaking of The John Sally Ride, John Dunbar was interviewed for the Sweet Sweet Music blog and was asked if there was a song he wished he had written. This was his choice, and of course, I felt like hearing it.

Old Castles- Paul Weller
And speaking of Sal Maida's excellent radio show, Spin Cycle, he played this track off of the latest Paul Weller and it was the first time I heard anything from "True Meanings." I dug it.

Sunshine Girl- The Parade
Maida also played this pop gem in the same set.

Forget About You- The Motors
When I get older, I want to write a pop song as good as this...even if it is Build Me Up Buttercup...sideways, sorta.

3 comments:

Tinpot said...

Thank you, Sal. Your comments sold me on this collection.

ken49 said...

Excellent mix and a wide variety too. I will combine with "off the shelves" for my drive to Santa Barbara this week.

dogbreath said...

Thanks for zipping up the SOTW. You're spoiling us (well, me anyway) as we've just had a Bram Tchaikovsky track and now one from his former outfit The Motors, a couple of little belters. Cheers!