Thursday, April 25, 2019

Surprise, Surprise: Bernard Fowler Delivers An Unexpected Gem



It started out as a pre-show warm-up during soundcheck on the 2015 Rolling Stones "Zip Code" tour. Long standing backup vocalist and percussionist Bernard Fowler would set up behind his congas and wait for keyboardist and musical director Chuck Leavell to shout out song titles. He would then bang away on his drums and recite the lyrics in beatnik fashion. By the third night of this, it was no longer just for kicks. Everyone was digging it, including Mick Jagger who said, "Bernard, I never heard Stones songs like this before. You should cut it."

And he did.

"Inside Out" dropped quietly last week, and though some Rolling Stones fans might find this treatment of some hits and deep cuts blasphemous, this Rolling Stones fan does not. I think "Inside Out" is a bit of genius, as much of a tribute to the lyrics and music of Jagger and Richards, as it is a tribute to the brilliant poets and performances of The Last Poets, Gil-Scott Heron, as well as classic 70's funk and soul.

Fowler has some great people behind him, including Stones bassist Darryl Jones, Keef's drummer and producer Steve Jordan, long time Bowie keyboardist Mike Garson and guitarists Ray Parker Jr, & Jimmy Rip. The accompaniment is nothing short of badass, and Bernard Fowler absolutely sells it with each performance. I cannot recommend this breath of musical fresh air highly enough.

A tip of the hat to friend and BW reader Snakeboy for e-mailing a track the other day, I was sold 90 seconds in and I've been spinning this record heavily ever since.






10 comments:

Troy said...

Interesting stuff. Definitely a unique take on a Stones classic. I'm glad I heard it, although I don't think it seems like the kind of thing I would personally go back to again and again. Sort of a once-and-done for me. Always good to share these things that fly under the radar, though.

mauijim said...

Thank you for heads up and posting. Unique to say the least. Gonna revisit again before i decide if it is a keeper.

Peter Ames Carlin said...

This is bad-ass, exactly what covers of classic tunes should be. Reimagined and rebuilt into something that explores the composition from a completely different angle, finding new possibilities and meanings in every direction. I think it's wonderful.

Anonymous said...

I find the songs more interesting than enjoyable. I wonder if the album will delivering the goods in a few months or will be forgotten?

Captain Al

Art58Koen said...

Thanks for bringing this to my attention, awesome I think!

buzzbabyjesus said...

Pretty cool, but I don't know if it has any legs.

steve simels said...

That is some of the coolest shit I've ever heard.

Thanks for the heads-up!!!!

snakeboy said...

Hey Sal:
Thanks for the mention. After all of the good / great music you have lead me to, it's kind of flattering to suggest something to you which you fell so passionate about.
Glad I could help.
TonyM

Eric said...

Time!

Jonnie said...

Glad you dig this, Sal. Bernard sent me the Sister Morphine track when it was done last year and I thought he was on to something cool with the Last Poets vibe. Jagger wrote some good lyrics back then, so it’s good to hear them again up close and personal.