Wednesday, May 22, 2019

Happy Birthday, Tin Machine



On this day, 30 years ago, David Bowie unleashed Tin Machine's debut record into the world. Misunderstood from day one, and still considered one of the low points in Bowie's career, Tin Machine confused almost everyone. But not me. I loved it.

The music on Tin Machine's debut is metallic. It's both art rock and punk rock. It has some amazing music on it, as well as some true crap. As All Music writes, "A remarkable recording for many reasons, the debut of Tin Machine predates by nearly half a decade, much of the guitar-oriented alternative pop that followed the grunge explosion of 1991-1992. This record would have been more popular had it been released five or six years later"

The problem with the record is that it is unsure of what it wants to be. Bowie wanted it to be a band, so drummer Hunt Sales gets to sing a bit. Bowie also gives the spotlight, more often than not, to guitarist Reeves Gabrels, who shines at times, but also occasionally overplays to an uncomfortable extent. With the exception of the brilliant "I Can't Read," a song that remained in Bowie's setlist years later, little sounded like anything Bowie had done prior. The same could be said for just about every record Bowie had released from 1966 until his death 50 years later. It's just that this time, in 1989, after the huge MTV success of "Let's Dance" and "Blue Jean," the blame went on Gabrels and the Sales brothers and few took to the maniacal sounds emanating from those grooves.

30 years later, Tin Machine still has its moments and their second release "Tin Machine II," actually aged better than their first. I think it's time to give Tin Machine one more shot. It's a helluva lot better than either 1984's "Tonight" and 1987's "Never Let Me Down," and most likely will sound brand new to many who had completely dismissed it in 1989.



8 comments:

Stef Jonathan said...

I fully agree. Probably the most underated thing Bowie ever did.

Shriner said...

I did not like it at the time. I tried again 10 years later and still didn't like it. I'm not sure if I should try it again now that it's been another 20 years...

Anonymous said...

Plus, how can you ignore an album that pairs Bowie with Soupy Sales's sons (yes, I know they're serious musicians, but still . . . Soupy Sales's sons).

Anonymous said...

Every few years I give them another few spins. Last time, I reached the "Well-These-Don't-*Completely*-Suck" stage. Time to give them another shot I suppose.

-Xtm

Anonymous said...

I don't see Tin Machine so much as precursors to the 90's, but more as homage to mid-80's post-punk bands like Killing Joke and Shriekback. Bowie as "rock group singer" tho, that's sort of like ignoring that Michael Caine has just dropped into the lead of your B-movie.

FD13NYC said...

I always liked Tin Machine.

wardo said...

Grabbed me at first listen and I still like it today. The second album, however...

Hopefully the next Bowie mega-box will include both albums, the extras, the live stuff.

Mr. Baez said...

I went to a fantastic Halloween Tin Machine show after the first record came out and became a fan of the group. It was very much a group effort with no real Bowie dominance over riding the evening; all equal partners. I'm not sure if homage is the right word, but more like an extension of post punk and "industrial rock" bands of that era like Killing Joke, New Model Army, and The Danse Society. I dig Tin Machine.