Sunday, May 26, 2019

Songs Of The Week, 2019: 5/18-5/24



Red Brick Dream- XTC
Summer Can't Come Too Soon- A.J. Croce
I Can't Let Maggie Go- The Honeybus
Oh Urania- Andrew Gold
Still Be Around- Uncle Tupelo
La-La-La-Lies- The Who
Goodnight Ladies- Bram Tchaikovsky

zip

Red Brick Dream- XTC
"The Big Express" is one of my least played XTC records, so when this track popped up on the iPod, it might have only been the second time I had heard it in 30 years. Might have to give "The Big Express" another visit.

Summer Can't Come Too Soon- A.J. Croce
From his 2000 release "Transit," here is my favorite track by Jim's son. A modern summer classic.

I Can't Let Maggie Go- The Honeybus
Listening to XTC made me think of this British pop gem, a song Andy Partridge once said, he'd wish he'd written.

Oh Urania- Andrew Gold
The late great Andrew Gold doing his best Eric Stewart/Graham Gouldman.

Still Be Around- Uncle Tupelo
I missed this band the first time around. I started up straight away with Wilco, and once I decided I didn't like Jay Farrar's voice, I never went back. But I just finished Jeff Tweedy's book, and of course I needed a soundtrack. These Uncle Tupelo records are new faves, 25 years later. Might even give "Trace" by Son Volt a spin.

La-La-La Lies- The Who
Lies, and the lying liars who tell them. And a great pop tune from you know Who.

Goodnight Ladies- Bram Tchaikovsky
Saw this one featured on our friend Steve Simels Power Pop page, and had to hear it for myself. This one got by me back in the day and now I can't stop playing it.

7 comments:

neal t said...

Big Express great release. My fave Remembering the Sun.

Anonymous said...

Great mix, Sal

I listened to some Uncle Tupelo early on but then kinda drifted away but have always loved Still Be Around - one of my all-time favorite songs.

Randy

Squints said...

I have to disagree respectfully about Farrar. I love Wilco, but vocally I'm a Farrar guy the same way that with respect to the DBTs, I love Hood and Isbell (and Shonna tucker) plenty, I'm a Cooley.

Something about ragged, lived-in voices, I guess. Chacun a son gout.

More recently Farrar's voice has actually weathered nicely with age.

cmealha said...

Big Express doesn't get a lot of spins but there are some gems like "Wake Up". The guitar sound on "Red Brick Dream" is gorgeous.

Squints said...

Guy. I'm a Cooley guy. Rissa frassa rissin....

dogbreath said...

Thanks for zipping up .The Honeybus single - summer of '68 - magic time. Cheers!

Bill said...

As the follow-up to Mummer, I always thought that the Big Express was the XTC steam engine clanking into the modern age. All You Pretty Girls is a smashing sea chanty that fits well with Richard Thompson's Johnny's Far Away.