Thursday, June 20, 2019

Is It Rolling Thunder, Bob?



I came in with The Beatles and I will go out with The Beatles, maybe with a New Orleans second line arrangement of "Here Comes The Sun." But for all points in between, which amounts to some form of music, everyday, for over 50 years, I don't think anyone affects me like Bob Dylan. And that includes "Wiggle Wiggle."

When I am sitting in my concert seat at a Bob Dylan show, I stare at him. When Charlie Sexton, or G.E. Smith before him, takes a guitar solo, I am more fascinated by what Bob chooses to do off to the side of the stage. At one Madison Square Garden show in the early 2000's, Bob stood by a speaker and sipped something out of a red plastic cup. It was something else.

I may be exaggerating, but there is some truth to how I feel. How can you not feel this way about a guy who wrote "Simple Twist Of Fate?" He also wrote, "The Lonesome Death Of Hattie Carroll," and a few other good ol' good ones, too.



I'm fresh off watching the Martin Scorsese documentary about the Rolling Thunder tour, which might explain the gushing. This film is not your run of the mill concert film because the concerts put on by Dylan and his gang were not run of the mill concerts.  If like me, you are moved by Zim's every blink, this film captures a Bob Dylan that has never been seen, not before and not ever again. Bob Dylan manages to be both human and superhuman. Seeing him engaging in the music and with the musicians around him is like getting a glimpse of a U.F.O.. Did you really just see that?

If you are one of those who thinks Bob Dylan cannot sing, watch this film. If you are one of those, put off by Dylan's aloofness, watch this film. If you are one of those who only likes a few Dylan songs, watch this film and I guarantee you will add a few more to that list. There are too many takeaways from this film. But the one thing that I took to bed, dreamt about and woke up to, is the performance of "I Shall Be Released," sung in two part harmony with Joan Baez. It had that beautifully eerie quality that you normally associate with siblings, like The Everlys. Every bent note, inflection, every glance and shoulder shake from these two, was something to behold.

I loved this film.


12 comments:

richeye said...

Speaking of their duets, I do wish they had included footage of them singing Johnny Ace's "Never Let Me Go". Talk about haunting beauty.... Anyway, great take on the movie! I have to watch it again. First time through, I was consumed with finding glimpses of myself in it and remembering many of those moments. Thanks, as always Sal.

JAYESSEMM said...

I second that emotion Sal!

I saw the film in the theatre on Saturday and have been thinking about it constantly ever since.

And that whole Dylan as The Trixter thing has my mind spinning.

Wow!

Anonymous said...

Hello all...no, please remain seated,

Really, *really* enjoyed it. Random thoughts:
* the film could've been an hour longer and I would not have complained.
* totalled savored the rendition of Hard Rain
* how totally whack was Patti Smith and wtf was she trying to button/unbutton?
* I wasn't particularly put off by the fictionalized elements.
* Bob Dylan enjoys driving his own bus?? Am I the only one who didnt know that? One of the more himazing elements for me.
* So...Did Bob *ever* talk to Mick Ronson?

What a very satisfying visual/musical experience.

Best....RichD

Anonymous said...

Agree on all points, Sal. I also love all of the b.s. in the doc with the actors and Sharon Stone. Bob continues to cat-and-mouse everyone. The fact that the film starts with historic footage of a deliberate fooling should tell us all something. I teach my students about his "autobiography" and the sources he nicked in telling his "story." Simply put, Bob is the Sphinx. I love it that way, too.

Paul

Slidewell said...

Desire remains my personal favorite Dylan album. What a band! So wonderful to see them perform! Beautiful sinuous Gypsy fiddle from Scarlett, Rob Stoner's bass anchoring the chaos, and Howie Wyeth, RIP, such a musical drummer! Ronson's solos were great!

A couple of WTF moments:

Joan Baez doing that stripper's routine, and McGuinn and Dylan singing on the same mic, cocaine eyes blazing.

Mr. Baez said...

You nailed it, Sal. Like you, when I see him in concert I can't take my eyes off of him; how will he interact with his band...what's he doing there in the shadows. Just such a fascinating individual. I was so wrapped up listening to the Rolling Thunder box set and watching the movie that every thing else took a back seat the last week or so. This was the only tour that I never had a chance to see since 1974 (it never came to the west coast.) Once again, Bob has not disappointed me.

big bad wolf said...

I liked the film very much. That's a judgement on Scorsese. He made a very good film.

I loved Dylan. Baez nailed it---Dylan has a charisma that is unmatched. It's not Mick or Bruce exulting or exalting or exciting us. It's a quieter, more lasting way. He draws, holds, challenges, spurs and spurns. It's a way of holding us, of amazing us. I feel as if I can grasp most stars. Dylan is always ahead of me, even when he fails.

Tinpot said...

Agree with all the above. Dylan's intensity while performing is fascinating. Only bum note for me was Patti Smith's pretentious wankering: Scorsese should have done her a favor and left that on the cutting floor.

Ken J Xenozar said...

Not a fan of Dylan. I say that based upon my reaction to all his studio recordings. But EVERY TIME I hear a live recording of him, Dylan stops me in my tracks. I say, "Oh, that is how he meant the song to sound." The urgency and sincerity in his delivery when performing live transforms the songs. And the songs work for me live. The lyrics connect. Not sure I will ever be a huge Dylan fan. But I am fascinated how consistently better he sounds (to me) in these live recordings.

buzzbabyjesus said...

You nailed it, Sal. Watching his face up close singing those songs was the best window into Bob I can imagine.

kodak ghost said...

Not a lot to add to the comments above... I just agree with them all especially Sidewalls.
"McGuinn and Dylan singing on the same mic, cocaine eyes blazing" absolutely.

The intensity and focus ( and tightness of the band)- in spite of /Because of substances!)
The bass playing is immense.
Ronno doesn't quite look at home in spite of his folkie roots (listen to his playing on Mike Chapmans - Fully Qualified Survivor) but great playing.

The duets...

Watch it again tonight!

and thanks for the Yola heads up.

A walk in the woods said...

Best recent thread on BW - loving the comments. Dylan is my favorite, so much so that I once put together a 14-CD best of for a friend who just wanted to be introduced. (Why 14 CDs?? You fans know!)

I got the box set and am loving it... but I don't have Netflix, and it's not playing in a theater in Atlanta, so I don't think I have a way to see it currently, other than asking a friend who has Netflix, which I need to do.

I've seen Dylan in concert 20 times since 1989, and every time is a trip. Can't wait to go back in time and see the visuals to go along with the recorded music from '75 that I've been enjoying for years.