Saturday, June 29, 2019

Your PSA For Saturday, 6/29: Don't Sleep On Those Eddie Harris Records


I've acquired a number of collections over the last month or so, not to mention the records I pick up here and there and back again. There's nothing I enjoy more than flipping through the covers, discovering old and new. At one time I had over 40 copies of Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass' "Whipped Cream," as well as at least a half dozen of everything else in his catalogue through "Beat Of The Brass." That was fun, untl it wasn't. I have a box filled with just Billy Joel records, except for "The Stranger" and "Storm Front" because those two always sell. I use Graham Parker records as protective padding when I ship, because it is easier to sell an empty box than Graham Parker records. And if I had 500 copies of "Dark Side Of The Moon," with or without posters and stickers, I'd still need 500 more.

And that brings me to Eddie Harris. You can't escape Eddie Harris records. They are everywhere. Look through any jazz section at any record store. Need an original copy of Miles Davis' "Kind Of Blue?" Forget about it. Want to build up your early 60's Blue Note collection? Not on your Herbie Hancock! But, for $3 you usually have a choice of just about about any of Eddie Harris' 60's output on Atlantic. They get flipped over and left behind. When I see them, I grab them because I love them, but rarely do I make any money. And if I guilt someone into buying one with my gushing, it's more of a favor than a profit. I wonder if I slapped a $40 price sticker on "Mean Greens" with a little sign that said "Jazz Essential" more young'uns would buy it.

As my friend Tim, a fab guy and a fab record dealer once said, "Don't sleep on those Eddie Harris records." I don't know why they aren't as cool as Miles Davis records or as expensive as Grant Green records. I do know they kick some serious ass.



Here's a few samples of some really badass Eddie. Next time you're shopping for records, and you see "The In Sound," "Mean Greens," "Silver Cycles" or "The Electrifying Eddie Harris," don't sleep on them.





4 comments:

xopher.tm said...

Noted. Cheers!

-Xtm

Mr. Baez said...

You're pal Tim is right on the money, Eddie Harris is very cool. I've been a big fan of his for decades. "Is It In" is a groove. Eddie Who indeed.

Crafted Nouns said...

Thanks for sharing some Eddie H. My local charity shops always seem to have an unlimited supply of Abba's 'Arrival' for some reason...

Anonymous said...

I've even grown to love his electric sax albums. he combines groove with experiments.