Friday, August 16, 2019

Deep Cut Six Pack Volume Three: The Hollies






As you may or may not recall, I once, foolishly, wrote a piece for The Huffington Post claiming The Hollies "Butterfly" was a better album than "Sgt. Pepper." I believed it when I wrote it and I believed it on and off since I wrote it. As of this writing, I still love "Butterfly" more than most albums, but I have seen the error of my ways.

This week's Deep Cut Six Pack puts together two from "Butterfly," two from "Evolution," one from the 1965 self-titled release, and a stunning live version of a song you should all know and love.

The Hollies were much more than "Bus Stop" and "Long Cool Woman In A Black Dress," and if you feel like going in, start with their trilogy--"For Certain Because," "Evolution," and "Butterfly, often referred to as their "Rubber Soul," "Revolver" and "Sgt. Pepper."

TRACKLIST
The Games We Play
Postcard
Too Many People
When Your Light's Turned On
Would You Believe
Carrie Anne (Live At Lewisham)

zip

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sal:

You have sited (did I spell that correctly?) what is truly The Hollies musical high point. They continued making some really good music into the late seventies but Graham Nash's last few years with the band was frequently magic. Great call! Great ears!

Captain Al

dogbreath said...

Perversely, and perhaps conversely, I was never a Hollies fan until that Long Cool Woman came along, but to be fair that did make me go back and re-evaluate the earlier stuff. And as the chap above me says, Nash brought a different touch of class to the band's output. A nice selection of tunes to warm the cockles of my memory this cool August evening (can memories have cockles?). Thanks and cheers!

Rhodb said...

Thanks Sal

I am guilty of only hearing the major singles of the Hollies but I will go back and investigate previous recordings

Thanks for the prompt

Regards

kevin m said...

Sal- any chance of posting a link to that Huff Post piece?

Sal Nunziato said...

Kevin
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/pet-sounds-or-sgt-pepper_b_127580