Tuesday, September 24, 2019

The Doughboys "Running For Covers": One Of The Best of 2019



Just what we need, another covers record. I'm serious, especially when it is as exciting as the new one from Plainfield, New Jersey's The Doughboys.

On paper, "Running For Covers" bored me. I did not want or need more versions of "96 Tears" and "Solitary Man." But at the insistence of our friend and occasional contributor Jeff K, I decided to keep the peace and give "Running For Covers" a focused spin. And then, I played it again. And again. And again. Thanks, Jeff K. You're not such a bad cat, after all.

What makes this collection of cover versions stand out from so many others is the pure joy that seems to be sweating profusely from each minute of each song. It's not just another cover of Mose Allison's "Your Mind Is On Vacation." It's "Your Mind Is On Vacation" reimagined as "Tobacco Road." It's not just a nervy cover of The Band classic "The Shape I'm In." It's "The Shape I'm In" turned into a bashing rocker that somehow manages to sound both 80's-era MTV ready and "Exile"-era Stones. Or how about "Rock On" the David Essex hit that made me want to throw a hardball at the radio every time Ron Lundy played it, that now sounds a lost garage nugget.



The Doughboys have been around the block and back, with their first two singles for Bell Records coming out in 1967. Both of those singles have been upgraded for "Running For Covers," "Rhoda Mendelbaum" and my favorite track on the record, a deep Four Seasons cut called "Everybody Knows My Name," which was buried on Side Two of "Working My Way Back To You" and found Frankie Valli trying and failing to channel his inner Dylan. Even The Doughboys 1967 version tries to out-Zim, Zimmy, but here on "Running For Covers" the acoustic guitars and harmonies owe more to The Byrds doing Dylan and it is tailor made for these boys.

I love this record, and like Jeff K., I can't stop playing it.

Go get it over HERE.





6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've had this album for awhile - long enough to digest fully, and yes, it's the real deal. They've released a few other albums in the past decade - all are stellar.

Check out Doughboy drummer, Richard X. Heyman's solo catalogue if you want some potent power pop.

Randy

jeff said...

As I always like to point out, even a broken clock is right two times a day.

Shriner said...

I tried and it didn't work for me (and I love Richard X Heyman's catalog). I should maybe try it again. Maybe I was in a bad mood or something...

Rocket said...

Wow! Sal, I generally don't like Covers Albums...
BUT, The Doughboys are Clearly playing for the LOVE of Music!
They're playing for Themselves (And, IF anyone else likes it too - Then that's just gravy!)
They're playing like They have Nothing to Lose and Everything to Gain!
Thanks for This One!
SR

Christine said...

Wow! I was excited about this too, and now with your blessing, I can't wait to listen!

Anonymous said...

Everybody Knows My Name sounds like the Skeletons to me, and that indeed is a good thing.
C in California