Thursday, September 5, 2019

On The Rails




The Rails debut "Fair Warning," was one of my favorite records of 2015. When I found out it was released in 2014, I retroactively made it my favorite record of that year, as well. They are back with "Cancel The Sun." I've been sitting with this one awhile. It opens with an unexpected rock and roll blast on "Call Me When It All Goes Wrong," and my initial reaction was to call right then and there. This is not why I love this band. But I settled down and settled in for the ride.

"Cancel The Sun" recovers nicely and what we get from Kami Thompson and James Walbourne is yet again, another collection of smart pop, beautiful folk and harmonies to die for. After a half dozen spins, the opener still feels wrong to me and that single remains my least favorite track. But, so what? "Cancel The Sun" has plenty to fall in love with, including the hauntingly beautiful and sublime "Something Is Slipping My Mind."

The Rails have not let me down and their third trip together will without question, finish in the Top 5 of 2019.









2 comments:

Ken D said...

Was listening to it just as I clicked on BW! Agreed— another outstanding record.

kodak ghost said...

Spot on mini review. Some outstanding songcraft here. and well done calling Yola a few months ago. I see she is up for a swag of Americana awards (whatever that means). Not bad for a gal from Bristol UK.

I'm also going with J S Ondara at the moment.