Saturday, September 21, 2019

Songs Of The Week, 2019: 9/14-9/20



One Way Road- Paul Weller
Be With Me- The Beach Boys
Days- The Kinks
Lips Like Sugar- Echo & The Bunnymen
Up Cherry Street- Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass
Color Me True- Sly & The Family Stone
I Am A Fool- The Golden Earrings

zip

One Way Road- Paul Weller
Paul Weller takes a whiny Oasis ballad to New Orleans for a definite improvement.

Be With Me- The Beach Boys
During that sick week, I had decided "20/20" by The Beach Boys was my third favorite of theirs. Might have been the NyQuil talking, but I still love it and this track a whole lot.

Days-The Kinks
I've been on the hunt for The Kink Kronikles, an album I've had in my possession three dozen times, but always sold, because I had everything on it. Then I felt like hearing "This Is Where I Belong" and realized, it wasn't on any Kinks album, not even the black "mono" collection, or the "Great Lost Kinks Album." So, I finally found a nice keeper copy and you know what? "The Kink Kronikles" is a smart collection. It keeps away from the obvious, sequences hits and deep cuts with some single only tracks and b-sides. So where is "This Is Where I Belong?" Well, I had my fix, but wanted to send out "Days" to an old friend.

Lips Like Sugar- Echo & The Bunnymen
I was thinking about an old co-worker named Jay, a real character from "GB WIS," as he used to say, whose favorite band was Echo & The Bunnymen and who he never referred to as Echo & The Bunnymen. It was always something different each time. "Put on some Schmecko & The Bonzoids." Or, "Are you going to see Ego & The Boobyhatch at The Ritz?" Anyway, it always made me laugh and it made me want to hear this track.

Up Cherry Street- Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass
Because you need to be reminded just how good the TJB really were.

Color Me True- Sly & The Family Stone
I had originally wanted to Deep Cut Six Pack Sly & the Family Stone, but never got around to it. I still might do it. This would have opened things up.

I Am A Fool- The Golden Earrings
Recording something new with the John Sally Ride, so of course the conversations go all over the place, with a good 20 minutes devoted to Golden Earring, how America only knows "Radar Love," how their 60's tracks were amazing slabs of Beatles, Hollies, Easybeats and the like, and blah blah blah. Here's one from their debut as The Golden Earrings that is very DC5.


2 comments:

Kristin M said...

Wait, they used to be called "The Golden Earrings" - a great band name used to be even better!!

And wait, John Sally Ride is recording again? Yeah!

dogbreath said...

Had an ex who raved about Echo & The Bunnymen so I would profess to hate them just to annoy her while secretly liking 'em. She had a fondness for this track. Thanks for the zip. Lovely stuff. Cheers!