Saturday, December 14, 2019

Songs Of The Week, 2019: 12/7-12/13



Little Willie- Berna-Dean
Trust In Me- Siouxsie & The Banshees
Dony- Big Star
Bright Light Girl- Heart
Mope-itty Mope- The Boss-Tones
Microphone Fiend- Rage Against The Machine
Mississippi Moon- Kings X

zip

Little Willie- Berna-Dean
I turned my friend Allen on to the A-side of this single, "I Walk In My Sleep," one my very favorite records. He then turned me on to the B-side when he played "Little Willie" on his radio show "All That Gumbo," heard on Fridays at 4PM, on WIOX.  Both songs make one great Dave Bartholomew/Berna-Dean 45.

Trust In Me- Siouxsie & The Banshees
From the excellent covers collection "Through The Looking Glass" where Siouxsie & The Banshees reinterpret songs by Television, Iggy Pop, Sparks, John Cale and this gem from Disney's "The Jungle Book."

Dony- Big Star
This track comes from Big Star's semi-reunion with the Posies, "In Space." It just got a vinyl reissue, and I just got around to spinning it. A very underrated record.

Bright Light Girl- Heart
From Ann & Nancy's not too successful "Private Audition" record, this, I believe was the first single. I don't think I have heard it in 30 years and I don't have a clue as to why it came to mind.

Mope-itty Mope- The Boss-Tones
Why the hell not?

Microphone Fiend- Rage Against The Machine
And speaking of covers collections, RATM's "Renegades Of Funk" is probably not for everyone. I am pretty sure our pal Steve over at Power Pop despises what the band did with "Street Fighting Man." I don't mind it, but I'll admit, it isn't a highlight on this hard, loud collection. Bruce loved what they did with "The Ghost Of Tom Joad" enough to ask Tom Morello to play guitar with the E Street Band for some shows.  And I love just about everything else, including this take on the Eric B. & Rakim, hip-hop classic.

Mississippi Moon- Kings X
Hard rock? Heavy Metal? Beatles harmonies? Jazz Chords? Progressive time signatures? Check, check, checkity check. That's Kings X. Here's one of the more straight forward, Beatle-esque tunes.



2 comments:

dogbreath said...

Thanks for these, most of the tunes a mystery to me as usual, but ending with two crackers (no Christmas puns intended) in RATM and King's X. Cheers!

scottdammit said...

How is Berna-Deans' "Little Willie" not Lake Street Dive? I'd love to hear them cover it. Thanks for heppin' me to some great tunes!